Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FIRST FILET

Options
smoke
smoke Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
2" INCH BEEF FILET. LOOKING FOR A GOOD IDEA AS FAR AS TIME AND TEMPERATURE FOR MEDIUM RARE, MAYBE EVEN SOME MARINADE IDEAS

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    first thing is first.. you will get some flack around here if you use all caps... just fyi.. i don't care as you can tell by how i spell my handle...

now on to the steak... this ought to help you:::

Beef, Tenderloin, Filet, Crusted, Cilantro, Garlic, Cumin, Uncle Sid

INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 cup olive oil
    3 Tbs cumin
    3 Tbs fresh lime juice
    1/3 cup fresh cilantro
    8 Clove garlic
    1 dash fresh ground pepper

Procedure:
    1 Combine ingredients in a food processor and blend. rub on both sides of meat I cooked 4 filets yesterday with this amount. let sit in fridge either over night.
    2 Fire up egg to 500-550. pour kosher salt liberally over top side of filet. (I just do one side.) cook 4 ½ to 5 minutes on each side for rare/medium rare. (I used pretty thick 8 oz filets) This is a bold but flavorful and enjoyable Flay recipe. It's a crowd pleaser. Enjoy!

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Uncle Sid Email: sidmasi@hotmail.com

Source: BGE Forum, Uncle Sid

Let your meat get a good seer and don't mess with it too much. Presentation is key. Bobby Flay

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• smoke
    smoke Posts: 30
    Options
    thanks for the advice about all caps. I'm going to try the recipe tonight and i will give you the results tomorrow. so 4-5 minutes on each side at around 550?
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    it has been about 8 months since i cooked a filet so i may not be much help.. that is what the rece[pie calls for but i have not tried it yet sorry :(

but it sounds good.. if i were you i would invest in a thermapen it will help you determine doneness or underdoness better than your watch.. i am not being a smart-allek just it depends on when you take it out of the fridge, how thick they are, and several other varibles.. wish i was more help to you :(

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb