Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

plate setter

Options
ptr
ptr Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
the area that actually protects the food from direct heat on the plate setter seems limited. do i need be concerned about larger butts or briskets that will be hanging "over the edges" on the plate setter?

Comments

• FearlessGrill
    Options
    Ptr,

The plate setter is shaped that way to allow heat and air to circulate. If it fully blocked the heat source, the egg wouldn't work.

On a low and slow cook, like for brisket or a pork butt, this won't pose an issue as you won't have flames shooting up around the plate setter. Occasionally, if I'm doing something indirect at a higher temperature, such as lamb chops or chickens, I'll get a bit of charring on bits that hang over the side. Not a big deal though.

As you can see from these pics from a recent brisket cook, the meat was taking up nearly the whole grate on my large egg, but the finished product wasn't at all impacted.

Before...
    Brisket%201.jpg

... and after

Slicing%20brisket.jpg
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    No, not really. You can move the butts around about half-way through the cook if you want or you can put some aluminum foil on the grid between the meat and the PS where the open areas are. I haven't found this to be a problem with butts, but, can be problematic with ribs.
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    That is one reason I like the XL you can use a 18 inch drip pan and a 19 inch stone and not have to worry