Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky questions...

Thrill
Thrill Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,[p]In a few weeks, I'll be heading to Alaska for a week-long salmon fishing trip. I've committed to my fellow fisherman to bring along a load of jerky.[p]My first question is how long will jerky last without getting ripe. I don't need any of the boys getting nasty stomachs 200 miles from civilization.[p]My second question is a good cheap cut of meat for jerky. I'll be making a whole mess of it, and don't want to blow the wallet. My wife just got some chuck roast. Will that work.[p]And, of course, if anyone has a favorite recipe, let me know.[p]Cheers all,[p]----> Thrill

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Thrill,
    I've used london broil when it's on sale and brisket. I think if you "cook" it thoroughly, it should keep a long time. Wasn't that the point of jerky, that you could keep it long periods of time without any preserving or cooling?
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Thrill,[p]You should find some bottom round. That is far and away the cheapest cut of meat for jerky. I get it for $1.49/lb. OR if you have a Sam's Club, you can get top round for $1.59/lb....that is a much better cut![p]Chuck will not work, as it is far too fatty....you need the leanest meat with NO fat anywhere. Have the butcher slice it for you.....about 1/4-3/8" thick.[p]You will need to use a cure on your jerky...otherwise it WILL go bad. In the old days, they preserved with massive quantities of salt. Your best bet is to use TenderQuick...which can be found in most large grocery stores where the salt is located.[p]Follow the link to my jerky page where I explain all this stuff. I just dried 20 lbs. over the weekend![p]Good Luck![p]Stogie
    [ul][li]Stogie's Jerky Page[/ul]
  • Thrill
    You da man, Stogie![p]Perfect! Just what I needed. Thanx a bunch! Great variety of recipes on your site, too. [p]----> Thrill
  • JodyMo
    JodyMo Posts: 46
    jerky.JPG
    <p />Stogie,
    I used the jerky recipe on your site this weekend.
    "Kevi's Jerky marinade" - I didn't have A1, so I substituted Heinz 57 and a splash of Worstershire. This was my first ever attempt. I'm tellin' ya this was better than any store-bought I have ever had. This recipe calls for Tender Quick, which I used. I had to order it, since it wasn't carried by my local grocery.
    I have gotten rave reviews, and plan to do more next weekend! Thanks for the recipe- it's a keeper!
    JodyMo

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Thrill,
    Follow Stogie's instructions. This guy has made tons and knows his stuff. He is allways willing to help and will drink an adult beverage with you too.

• Stogie
    MAC,[p]Tanks for the compliment MAC!! How the heck are ya??[p]I wanted to take this opportunity to invite you to the Michigan BBQ Championships this weekend in Grand Rapids.[p]Drop me an email if you need some details![p]Stogie
  • Stogie
    JodyMo,[p]Thanks for giving this stuff a try! I can see your jerky has that nice shine going...a sign of success![p]I have played with this recipe for close to 20 years...I kept trying new and different things and I finally settled on this.[p]Glad you enjoyed!![p]Stogie
  • The Naked Whiz,I agree with you any food that is dried, meat or otherwise, will last a long time. The purpose of salt or tenderquick is to remove moisture and prolong the life of the food item. By the way, I recommend NAKEDWHIZ.COM as the greatest web site east of Babylon, Mars. See Col. Drivers tour of Galaxy etc. Ever consider a review of meat rubs to be added to your index and evaluation re: BGE related info?

• Stogie,
    I used your recipe on some london broil last weekend.
    Was the best yet!

• JodyMo
    JodyMo Posts: 46
    Stogie,
    It is excellent.
    I will be honest. When I first mixed everything together with the water, I wasn't too sure. But the finished product is awesome! You have figured out a winner.

Your page was helpful. You mention that most of the other recipes are for 1 pound. The 'high plains' one looks to have a lot of liquid for 1 pound. Is it possible that it is for 5 lbs? That one looks good as well. I want to try it next, or at least ask what you think...[p]Food Lion had London Broil on sale and I am drying 2 racks of it now! I plan to follow your advice of drying before marinating.[p]Later-
    JodyMo

• Stogie
    JodyMo,[p]I think you will be fine with the High Plains. One cup will cover the meat so you won't need to add any water.[p]It's been a while since I tried these so can't remember. I did think it was good enough to list![p]Good Luck and happy jerkin'![p]Stogie
  • Stogie
    BobL,[p]Thanks for trying it out! You may want to try top or bottom round. Around here, those cuts are much less expensive than flank or london broil. Just trying to save youa few bucks. After all, that's more jerky to make![p]Stogie
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Stogie,[p]I've also been meaning to relay my appreciation of your jerky page. The one I am partial to is the teryaki jerky. We really enjoyed it during our little 7 hour hike of a small (very small)portion of the Wonderland Trail.[p]Your site does a really good job of going into the details to a degree that made me feel comfortable doing my first jerky smoke.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• Thrill
    Cremaster,[p]It is because I'm spending all my money on the trip that I'll have to exist on salmon and jerky the whole week. Plus, if you've seen the size of the guys that are going with me, you'd realize that I'm going to need more than a handful of jerky. [p]My calculation: 8 days on the river x 4 big guys x 1 pound per person per day = 32 pounds of jerky = about 100 pounds of raw meat. Not being cheap. Just trying to be economical.[p]---->Thrill