Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first ribs

Options
ptr
ptr Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
had my egg for a few weeks now. done many high temp cooks now ready to try somewhat low and slow. i thought a good place to start would some spare ribs. so the questions are: soak wood or not? how low and slow is neccesary for ribs? what the heck is a temp plateau? and i love a smokey flavor but, i have "over smoked" my share of meals. ant rule of thumb out there for avoiding over smoking?

thanks, if successful i will send some pics. (once i figure out how to attach photos)

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    There is a few threads below. Spares take longer.
    1210spares1.jpg
    Mike
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    No need to soak the wood chunks - That is a gasser requirement and all it does is steam off first.

250 dome.

Don't worry about a plateau with ribs. Use the 3-1-1 method. Three hours in the smoke, one hour in foil and UP TO one hour back in the smoke. Ribs are done when you an pick them up with tongs and the bend 90 degs. or you stick them with a toothpick and the tooth pick come sout without resistance.

When you are doing a low and slow make sure the smoke is invisible or a very light blue and then temp stable before putting the meet in. You don't need a lot of wood chunks to achieve the smoke flavor. One or two 3" diameter chunks is enough.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    WELCOME!!! No need to soak the wood. check out the link below for a lot of great info. HTH.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/WiseOneRecipes.pdf
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My experience is that untrimmed spares take about an hour longer than St. Louis-style trim. Also, the beginning thickness and weight has some bearing. The spares I've found in my area run from 4 3/4 pounds per slab, up to 6 1/4. Smaller is faster, and usually easier to get tender. Laying the slab flat, as opposed to standing in a rack has given me slightly more tender ribs.

I aim for a dome of 250. Because creosote condenses at 250 in the presence of wood smoke and moisture, I don't soak my wood. (In metal cookers, soaking was necessary to keep the wood from bursting into flame.)A handful of chips on top in the center will do for ribs. Personally, I've never minded strong smoke flavor. However, if you find it objectionable, the lump by itself will give you just a hint of smoke.

As already mentioned, the "3-1-1" method pretty much guarantees good results. I used it exclusively for about a year. However, the best results I've had have been from long indirect cooks lasting about 6 hours from the time the meat went on.
  • mattk330
    mattk330 Posts: 74
    Options
    With my first BGE ribs I just used the recipe from the BGE manual/cookbook that came with my smoker. Turned out great. It's very similar to the 3-1-1 method.

The first '1' is off the smoker, wrapped in foil and in the cooler in the post above I believe. For the second '1', the recipe in the book essentially has you glaze the ribs w/ bbq and put back on the smoker and cook that on for a short while.
  • ptr
    ptr Posts: 24
    Options
    thanks for the link great info