Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg, what is true cost?

Options
marrt
marrt Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I’m thinking about getting an Egg and I’m trying to figure out if it’s in the budget. I would use it 70 percent for smoking, 25 percent for grilling and 5 percent just to make the neighbors envious. So, what do I need as a realistic minimum…an Egg, a nest or table, and what else (besides Lump of course)?

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    The answer to your question for me INITIALLY meant about $750 for a large, next, mates and setter.

Of course, that's the INITIAL cost - not including the equal amount I have since spent on eggcessories, MAPP torch, Thermopen, etc.

Not to mention the jack I have spent on all the recipes of forum members that I would have never done prior to my eggdiction.

Of course, I wouldn't change a THING!!
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    The real question is how long can you wait after buying the egg before you give in to all the great accessories which are strong temptations once you start cooking, especially if you cook often. For me it started with about $400 for a used large egg with lump, nest, plate setter, and a few replacement parts. I quickly added another $600 in building a custom table, buying all sorts of ceramic-coated pans and cooking tools, and then getting a Reveo Marivac. All of the extras were truly optional but I would highly recommend getting a Maverick ET-73 ($35), a pizza stone ($10), and 5-6 bags of wood chips ($20) at a minimum. I don't regret any of it even though it was certainly much more than I ever planned to spend at the start.

My sister just got her brand new large egg for $600 including tax and shipping. She only purchased a few bags of lump and she is paying a small shipping fee to get my old nest so she is only out $640 so far, although she hasn't started cooking yet. I imagine once the bug bites her that she will be in for another $200 or so, maybe more in accessories.

It all just depends on how often you cook and how fast you get addicted.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i went a little over a year with nothing but the egg. made a raised grid eventually, and used bricks for a while to create the indirect barrier.

eventually got a platesetter, more for flexibility's sake. there are lots of ways to make an indirect set up.

they still sit (a large and small) right on my brick patio, on their three feet. i'd like to eventually raise the large up a bit higher. it has a 2" concrete round paver under it to. still a bit low.

someday i'll get around to a table.

you only need he egg, some lump, and a match
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    Options
    Buying a BGE is just the same as buying a horse. All you need to ride is just a pad/saddle and bridle. But if you REALLY want to ride good....trainer, groomer, suppliments, special treats, etc.
    AND...all you need to cook is the EGG, match, lump. BUT....if you REALLY want to cook, grid extender, SS grates, ash tools, LR handles, Nest, tables, Guru, thermapens...etc.
    Catch my drift?

Just kidding....but really. Your wish list can last several holidays for presents.

Kim
    PS...one won't do either....we have 2 large, small, and recently added a mini......and won a large in OKC and gave it to our son in law.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Get what you can comfortably afford to start with. Learn how to use it with just the basics.

Indirect cooking only needs something between the meat and the fire to make it work. A drip pan.

Get comfortable with it and grow into all of the nonsense crap people tell you you need.

Don't scare the poor guy off with tales of huge investments troops!
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Just being honest Sundown....as I indicated, it's worth it!
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    1. Large Egg (to start)
    2. Stand and Wings (will replace with a table by end of 2nd year)
    3. Plate Setter (must have for indirect cooking)
    4. Pizza Stone (can't live without that pizza when you need a quick cook)
    5. Spatula
    6. Tongs
    7. Lighting medium
    8. Lump
    9. Cover
    10. Decent Digital Thermometer for Meat Temperatures
    11. All the good people on this forum to guide you forward and supply you with recipies and tips and then wait for the return favor from you!
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Smokin Tiger
    Smokin Tiger Posts: 352
    Options
    Don't forget that the egg can be used for smoking, grilling, pizza and will cook just about anything else you can think of. Compare the cost all of the seperate pieces of cooking hardware (grill, smoker, etc...) that would be required to accomplish all this.

Oh yeah, you will need a good pair of running shoes because with all of the great recipes listed on this forum you may find that your pants start getting a little tight! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I would buy one again in a minute.

TC
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    What stike says is dead on...the question isn't what do you 'have' to have. It's more what will you 'want' once you start cooking with an egg...absolute bottom line minimum...egg (w/daisy wheel of course), lump and a match or two...but...if you want to account for the fact that in a few months you'll want to expand the versatility of the egg...count on a thousand bucks up front and spend wisely and you'll have everything you 'need'...
  • Bevo
    Bevo Posts: 179
    Options
    It's not a cost; it's an investment. You will realize many years of enjoyment from it. If, for some reason you ever tire of it, I'll bet you can sell it (to me!) for only slightly less than you paid when you consider all the benefit you derived from it.

I will posit that the rate of depreciation on a five-year-old BGE is far less than that of a new car or truck.

Buy it and enjoy it.
  • Puggles73
    Puggles73 Posts: 1
    Options
    Ok so I just bought my first egg yesterday. Of course I had to run home and cook some ribs. They came out great. :P

Shop around and utilitze what you have in your kitchen. I used the rack from my turkey roaster pan instead of buying the pan.

My large egg cost me $599.98 plus tax. They were having special so the nest was free. Shop around. It was worth it already even though I have used it once. I did a lot of research about smokers etc before I bought my egg instead of something just for smoking.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    maart,

First of all you are going to get the best smoker/grill available.

As for the accessories to cook great food the expense really isn't that much more. Now the toys are all a different matter.

You are going to get as much enjoyment going 'slim' as you are going 'all out'.

Get your egg a very few basics and get started. You, like all of us, well 99.9% of us, will be very glad you did.

Now what no one is talking about. The savings. We got our first egg about a year ago. Our going out to resturants and those expenses have almost stopped. We still go out and do other things just not much to resturants.

For us that was a big savings. The food we eat tastes better. Even in the coldest of winter we used the egg the majority of meals.

GG
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    eggs are on the little feet still , only eggcessory for 2 years was a thermopen [a must for any good cook egg or not] i used and reused 1/2 steam tray pans [$9 for 30 at co$tco] as my indirect for 2 years and a wore rack that i already had,. one of our humble members uses "smoke rocks" instead of bricks to raise his grid. i have acquired the stuff but it is not necessary, many of us like to experiment and it is a hobby [read addiction] also i did the math about how much money i spent on gassers, the egg is a better deal.
  • ChefBrian
    ChefBrian Posts: 172
    Options
    It is a small price to pay as your quality of life will go way up.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    We spend 1100 on our Large with nest and egg mates, cast iron grid, egg plate, pizza stone and lump and Maverick.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I have about $5,000 tied up in my Eggdiction, but then again I have 6 eggs, various implements to cook food with, several dutch ovens, grate extenders, plate setters, grate mates and a 6x12 Cargo Trailer.

Stike is right all you NEED is egg (includes the Metal Top and dome thermometer), a bag of lump (a good dealer will give you a bag of this and the fire starters) and a match. Ohhh something to cook.

The Filly is right in the fact you will WANT more..

To Paraphrase Mastercard:

Big Green Egg: Priceless..
  • eafo
    eafo Posts: 96
    Options
    its really better to not think about it
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options
    You have to realize that if all you're doing is looking at the cost, you're missing half of the equation. The other side is the benefit.

From all the previous posts you can get a good handle on the Egg and the gizmos you may need/want in order to get started. From there, you either have the money or you don't. Now if you're trying to justify spending that money think about the following:

How much have to cooked outdoors before and is it something you really like doing?

Do you find satisfaction in creating great food?

Do you really enjoy being outdoors?

Do you like, or are you willing to try a lot of new things?

Do you think you could benefit from the collective wisdom and community that this forum provides?

If the answer to most of those is yes, then unclench your grip on that $$ and take the plunge. Few if any who have done so have any regrets.

Good luck
  • HungryNephew
    HungryNephew Posts: 267
    Options
    I paid $599 for a large and nest. As far as my wife in concerned, I have not sent another penny since! :)
  • Unknown
    Options
    While the egg and eggcessories may be a bit pricey, they are worth FAR more than you spent.

Mike Tripp
  • marrt
    marrt Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys. It takes time to post these responses and I appreciate the effort.

I’ve thought about the economics more and I can justify purchase pretty easily. This is because we eat out a lot at $100 a pop. So it doesn’t take too long to “buy” a new grill with the savings. Also, when I consider the price per cook for meat, lump, and my time, and given the long life of these grills, the grill price per cook is not that much.

I see some folks have found Eggs in the low $600s or lower. The cheapest price I’ve found locally is $699 plus a $50 credit towards accessory’s. That’s probably not a bad price for this area but it would be nice to find a lower price though.

And finally, I was told that Eggs have a life time warranty on everything but the felt, and now include the daisy wheel. True?
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Yep, the gasket is not covered by warranty. You will want to get one of the new nomex gaskets. Search this forum for details.

Daisy wheel is included.
  • ChitownBBQ
    ChitownBBQ Posts: 72
    Options
    Let's see..

I drove across the state line to avoid Chicago sales tax and got a 10% discount thrown in for good measure, so I paid

$890 for my XL w/nest.

Ash tool, BGE cookbook & Jack Daniels Oak Chips, another $60.

Eggaccessries.com for a flip ring, hanger, grid & 18" drop pan = $110.

18" Cast Iron Grid for searing (Lg Cast-Iron Grid) $60.

$20 for the Thirdhand.

I already had all the various charcoals, wood chunks, tools, thermometers, gloves, lighter element, etc.

Stone counter company down the alley from me provided (unknowingly) the pieces for a nice marble work surface around my XL...

$1,140 for a reasonably complete XL rig.

Once the wife goes out of town for 3 weeks (July) I'll spend a bit more as I build the platform & solid counter around it. More on that later.
  • JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    Options
    I would guess that most of those that got their large at around $600 got it at an eggfest.
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    JimF wrote:
    I would guess that most of those that got their large at around $600 got it at an eggfest.
    I have posted several times in the past when I found good price deals on the egg. My latest such thread turned into yet another debate about warranty vs. non-warranty and the thread was eventually deleted, without notice or explanation which I felt was a bit rude but no big deal.

A number of users on this forum appear to be small business owners and/or local egg dealers so there is a lot of sensitivity to low-price offers and high-volume discount merchants, especially those with online stores. They attack the low online price deals because they believe it is worth it to pay a local dealer several hundred dollars more just to get the warranty.

I believe that both arguments are valid and that the best decision for you depends on your personal situation and preferences. I just wish the forum would allow both perspectives to be equally represented instead of deleting threads which notify people of the low price deals and benefits of buying online.

So I won't share the secret to getting a brand new large egg for under $600 with free delivery and no tax. If you want to know then click here to send me a PM via the forum.