Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

perfect filet

smokesmoke Posts: 30
edited 12:34PM in EggHead Forum
just bought an egg last week, and have had the best drunk chicken and ribs ive ever eaten. cooking filet's tomorrow night my folks. need some suggestions for temp and time on each side for searing.
·

Comments

• GreenEggerGreenEgger Posts: 38
    Any more info on the chicken and ribs you did? I'm new as well and can't help with steak suggestions yet, but curious about it all right now :)
    ·
  • smokesmoke Posts: 30
    for the chicken, i rubbed it with veggie oil to hold the rub in , then added a few a cajun spices and rendezvous rub, then smoked for about 1:15 at 350 using apple chips. ribs i smoked for 3 hours at 200. using wickers as a baste and rendezvous rub. if your not familiar with thre rendezvous its the most famous bbq in the south especially their ribs. there in memphis. check them out at hogsfly.com
    ·
  • egretegret Posts: 4,033
    Most of us around these parts use the TRex method for steaks explained here : http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm
    ·
  • lowercasebilllowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    time and temp are variable depending on type,thickness and desired degree of doneness.
    filet of beef has very little fat and anything past medium [medium rare in my case] is a waste of good beef and money.

if you could be more specific about thickness [assuming you are not cooking the whole tenderloin] and how you like your beef cooked i think you will get more help. regardless read the trex stuff at tnw, as egret suggested, and then read everything else there as well
    ·
  • smokesmoke Posts: 30
    what time and temp would be suggested on 2" medium rare filet.
    ·
  • lowercasebilllowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    since your egg is new and i don't want to feel bad about burnt gaskets take it to 600° do 1 minute rotate 90° for another minute flip and repeat. brring your egg down to 400° and finish. i would check temp at 3 minutes flip for another 3 and check temp. if you do not have a thermopen get one soon.. pull no more than 125° and let rest 5 minutes or so. below are ribeyes at 125 and a bit more done than i prefer. 120 might be good for filet rest 10 minutes.

mini059.jpg

mini062.jpg

mini063.jpg

good luck let us know how you make out
    ·