Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seafood Paella

Options
stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
finally got me some soccorrat. My mistake had been misjudging the time it would take the shellfish to cook. i used to add the shellfish when i added the broth, and the shellfish would be done before the rice.

this time i did a few things differently:
-after i pan seared the chorizo, and cooked the green beans and peppers, i then seared the shrimp each side quickly, for color, and then took them off, leaving it mainly uncooked.
-seared the scallops also, but left them raw inside and kept them to the side.
-then, after making the soffrito and adding the broth, i waited until the broth was pretty mych absorbed and i was debating whether i was hearing the sizzling of the last broth, or the start of the soccorat forming. THEN i put the seafood on. being par cooked, the seafood was done quickly, and it was just a matter of waiting for the clams to open

this was a dry run for eggfest, if i can make that happen.

couple pics of the ingredients:
mise_en_place.jpg

the paella just about done (clams starting to open):
on_thr_fire.jpg

and here's a quick clip capturing what i'm pretty sure was the crackling of the rice caramelizing (forming the soccorat).

th_P5310170.jpg
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    Very nice. Still trying to figure out what we're doing for the eggfest.
    Paul
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Very cool post...looks great.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    nice cook and pics. looks like you have it figured out. i got a nice socccorat with my first one but i got impatient the second time [the one with the chicken wings] is the video from a dedicated video camera or just from the digital point and shoot???
    bill
  • stike
    Options
    the vid's from a cr^ppy point and shoot. i had it out when i shot the giant roiling plumes of flame from the egg, and just kept shooting stuff.
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    wow! u actually cook on the egg. :P
    ST
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Beautiful dish. Congrats on a successful paella.
  • stike
    Options
    yeah. aside from taking the time to try to answer many newbie questions, i do. B)
    have posted a number of cooks lately, one which jlockhart saw and tried himself last night.

i don't see much from many of the elders, lately, though. they seem bored with the egg for some reason.
  • stike
    Options
    thanks, mang.
    it's a nice cook. in new england, it's not fun to try to cook paella in the middle of february.

so when the weather is perfect, standing outside with all the ingredients at hand, nice fire going, beverage in hand... it can be real nice
  • Unknown
    Options
    In you nose boy.
  • stike
    Options
    ah yes. anonymity. last refuge of the irrelevant.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    stikey

When The Elders speak no one listens anyway. Who are they?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Stike,

Really nice. What stock/broth did you use?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    Options
    thanks
    i used a packaged (foil carton) of fish stock.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You guys get all the trick stuff. :)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Good to see you post one of your cooks. Havent seen one in a while and I know they will be good! ;) I got to try that soon. Summer just a hard time to do new "exzotic" stuff. I did the snapper yesterday if you didn't see it. Turned out great and thanks again.
  • stike
    Options
    if i do chicken, i try to make my own stock.

this time, i had no saffron left, either. so there was no saffron. still good, but missing that nice perfume.
  • stike
    Options
    hahaha
    tryna start sumthin, eh? heh heh

i go for quality, not quantity. ahem.
    haha

i noticed you didn't use the vinaigrette on the mango, or grill the mango direct. you should try it next time.

the acid keeps the mango from browning, keeps it nice and yellow (and of course adds flavor). and the direct grill was great. nice grill marks, and the flavor changed, more mellow, buttery almost.

how did the mago feel/taste the way you did it sitting up on the fish?

here's mine. my pic might be misleading. i set the mango ON the fish after grilling it.

snapper_post.jpg
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Very nicely done!! My wife is a paella ace...she does paella once or twice per month for catering business....I showed her your pics...and she was thoroughly impressed.....

She waits until the last 20 minutes or so to throw the shrimp and shellfish on and then covers....and they always turn out well....You method was also very effective.....That's a winner!!

eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL
  • stike
    Options
    i shut the lid of the BGE for the last bit of the cook, to cook the shellfish. otherwise it's open the whole time.

the shelffish opened quick this time. might have shut the dome when it was the kind of fire you'd have for a 600-700 pizza cook. oop. but it cooked fast. the shrimp had a nice 'pop' to it woithout being overcooked. got lucky.

i think the purists wouldn't be happy with the amount of seafood i throw in, either. doesn't so "feature" the rice as threaten to overshadow it. but we can't help ourselves when we buy seafood
  • stike
    Options
    thanks. paella is a fun cook. pretty choreographed
  • stike
    Options
    that chicken would have been a scene-stealer.
    maybe just do one?

i think althea should do those potatoes. man. i love those.
  • PineyWoodsBrewer
    Options
    One of my fondest memories of my years in Spain......
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Frank in Homa did some mango type cook and purea, purree.... Ohh cr@p, liquified them! :laugh: Any way wouldn't do that with the celantro mix but would cut the mango finer and increase the amount of mango and then add the mango to the celantro mix. I found myself trying to get "enough" mango to satisfy each bite. Make sense? If not don't stress over it to much. It's 5 am and I just got threw with a vodka martini before bed!! B) Night!