Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Seafood Paella

stikestike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
finally got me some soccorrat. My mistake had been misjudging the time it would take the shellfish to cook. i used to add the shellfish when i added the broth, and the shellfish would be done before the rice.

this time i did a few things differently:
-after i pan seared the chorizo, and cooked the green beans and peppers, i then seared the shrimp each side quickly, for color, and then took them off, leaving it mainly uncooked.
-seared the scallops also, but left them raw inside and kept them to the side.
-then, after making the soffrito and adding the broth, i waited until the broth was pretty mych absorbed and i was debating whether i was hearing the sizzling of the last broth, or the start of the soccorat forming. THEN i put the seafood on. being par cooked, the seafood was done quickly, and it was just a matter of waiting for the clams to open

this was a dry run for eggfest, if i can make that happen.

couple pics of the ingredients:
mise_en_place.jpg

the paella just about done (clams starting to open):
on_thr_fire.jpg

and here's a quick clip capturing what i'm pretty sure was the crackling of the rice caramelizing (forming the soccorat).

th_P5310170.jpg
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments