Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor Kitchen Idea

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know some of you are searching for ideas for covered outdoor kitchens and thought you might like this one. I picked up a brochure at Home Depot that has all kinds of plans but this one kinda stood out because it is simple to build, well ventilated and visually pleasing.

Their price to install is $5,799 for a 12'X12' and on up to $16,299 for a 20'X28'. Their 16'X16' @ $8,399 is probably a perfect size. A couple or three BGE's under there would sure look nice.

I could probably build it myself for about 1/4th the cost. That is if I didn't have this %#&@ Mad Max Disease.

OutdoorKitchenidea.jpg

I'm thinking one would be a nice backdrop to the Coop.

Spring "Always Thinking" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    That's a handsome structure.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    maybe i could work a deal with you for airfare and food and you could come up to virginia and build me one. .. .but only if you could hang a couple of those chandaliers to give it that true "texas coup" feel to it :woohoo:
  • NooBBQ
    NooBBQ Posts: 134
    Options
    Spring Chicken wrote:
    I know some of you are searching for ideas for covered outdoor kitchens and thought you might like this one. I picked up a brochure at Home Depot that has all kinds of plans but this one kinda stood out because it is simple to build, well ventilated and visually pleasing.

Their price to install is $5,799 for a 12'X12' and on up to $16,299 for a 20'X28'. Their 16'X16' @ $8,399 is probably a perfect size. A couple or three BGE's under there would sure look nice.

I could probably build it myself for about 1/4th the cost. That is if I didn't have this %#&@ Mad Max Disease.

OutdoorKitchenidea.jpg

I'm thinking one would be a nice backdrop to the Coop.

Spring "Always Thinking" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

I would not get too excited yet about 1/4 of the cost. Looking at those big lumber posts and beams, they are a couple of hundred each a piece. (pending what type of wood)

FWIW, YMMV,

nooBBQ,
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    They may be that costly up where you are but I recently purchased a 6"X6"X10' knot-free cedar beam for $89.

Besides, I think at least some of the ones in the picture are wrapped instead of solid.

The foundation is not be included in my calculations because it isn't included in theirs. They just concrete the posts in the ground in holes at least 24" deep.

But you have to admit, it's a mighty fine design for an outdoor kitchen cover.

Spring "Knot Free" Chicken
  • NooBBQ
    NooBBQ Posts: 134
    Options
    Yeah I love the design. Wood here is actually relatively cheap (Idaho). I agree with you, you could probably beat their price by a good margin.

nooBBQ,
  • Unknown
    Options
    Looks sweet...I'd recommend finding and buying an old timber frame barn, hiring a crew of Amish to disassemble, and reassemble on your property. Finding the right barn is probably easier than finding the Amish. :laugh: