Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paint by numbers

NooBBQ
NooBBQ Posts: 134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK after having been cooking on "The Egg" now since last fall (Septemberish), so far what I have done is almost paint by numbers. Lookup a recipe, follow the directions, try to understand what is going on, but foremost, follow the directions. I must say with GREAT results, if I have not thanked all of you enough, here is one more, thank you all.

I think I am ready for more, so I am asking t collective wisdom here if they can explain some of the basics to me, so I can progress from paint by numbers to some more serious work :-)

1) Lots of marinades/wet rubs have mustard, what is the function of the mustard?
2) Lots of marinades, mops, wet rubs have vinegar, what is the function of the vinegar?
3) Certain recipes call for Apple Juice (which I actually like), again what is the function of the apple juice?

I'll start with those.

nooBBQ,

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    IMHO

Mustard-- holds the rubs on the meat with no after taste.

Vinegar- is a flavor that south carolinians came up with and some of use like it.

Apple juice-- for my use is a thinner of sauces when making ribs and want to spray for moisture or to to thin the BBQ sauce when mopping.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I'll second all of what Richard said. Now just color outside the lines and I think you will be pleased with the new recipes you'll be posting.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Not to forget -- mustard adds vinegar, which begins the break-down of the meat.

~ B
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    1. It starts the cooking process, but mainly to hold the rub. It cooks off and really doesn't add too much flavor. It really is not necessary.

2. It starts the cooking process and is needed in various degrees. To correct Richard Vinegar based sauces are NORTH Carolina not South. South Carolina is noted for it's Mustard Base sauces.

2. Flavor and sweetness.

Good Questions Grasshopper :woohoo:
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Thanks for the correction to North Carolina for vinegar. I am so used to going to South Carolina for Shealy's Vinegar and pepper saucee from Leesville SC. I forgot or he is in the wrong state. hehe Maurices Mustard sauce in Columbia SC is definately SC.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Well we do consume South Carolina Sauces up here, but the Vinegar Based sauces are Eastern North Carolina. Remember South Carolina sits on the Southern Border of Eastern NC