Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plank cooking "eggxperts" needed

Beli
Beli Posts: 10,751
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know some of my friends out there on the forum are real experts at the art of planking, however since this is my first, I would really appreciate your suggestions. I have cedar & maple planks, and want to cook a pork loin. Thanks!!!!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is one that is easily adapted to the BGE. Make sure the plank is well soaked, an hour or so. I like to do smashed potatoes and yams mixed on them.

Pork, Tenderloin, Planked, Cedar, W/Pineapple Salsa

Fresh herbs, cedar smoke, and a sweet and kicky relish add loads of personality to this dream cut of pork. Be sure to use wood that’s completely untreated. Many barbecue or cooking-supply stores carry food-safe cedar planks.

Ingredients
    1 pork loin roast, 3 to 3-1/2 pounds
    1 untreated cedar plank (about 4 inches by 12 inches)
    For the salsa:
    4 cups finely diced pineapple
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup white wine vinegar
    2 Tbs fresh lime juice
    1 tsp minced jalapeño pepper
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    4 green onions (white part only), finely sliced
    1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
    Kosher salt
    For the rub:
    1 Tbs finely chopped fresh sage
    2 tsp paprika
    2 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Preparation
    1 Immerse the untreated cedar plank in water; place a weight on it to keep it submerged. Soak for 4 to 24 hours.
    To make the salsa:
    1 In a large sauté pan combine the pineapple, sugar, vinegar, lime juice, jalapeño, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook over medium-high heat until thickened, 7 to 10 minutes. (If there is still a lot of liquid left, use a slotted spoon to transfer the pineapple to a bowl and continue to cook the liquid over high heat for 5 minutes more, then pour the liquid over the pineapple.) Mix in the onions and basil. Season with salt, if desired.
    To make the rub:
    1 In a small bowl combine the rub ingredients.
    2 Trim any excess fat from the pork loin. Spread the rub over the roast and place on the cedar plank. Allow to stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling.
    Cooking
    1 Grill over Direct Medium heat until the internal temperature reaches 155°F, about 1 hour. Carefully remove the roast and plank from the grill and loosely cover the roast with foil. Allow to rest for 3 to 5 minutes before carving. Serve warm with the pineapple salsa.

Servings: 6

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Weber's Big Book of Grilling

Source: Weber

ma
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    my 'rule'(to use the term loosely) with cedar is that a little is good, a lot is bad. and i hate to say, i only use it with salmon. salmon is fatty and (nicely) "fishy" (not 'bad' fishy, if you know whatta mean). and i find the cedar's slightly resiny pine-i-ness is a good complement. it cuts the fat. so. soak the cedar so that it only smokes for the last half of the cook. too much smoke too early, and you might as well eat a pine cone.

all planks are meant to be used directly. they form the indirect barrier themselves, and they give up their ghost in the form of smoke. skin down, no flipping (for salmon).

salmon on cedar or alder is the 'traditional' method that we are perhaps romantically assuming was what the indians did. beyond that, you are free to improvise i guess.

the planked mashed potatoes on their own small planks looks like a really interesting presentation, for example.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Beli
    Great advise Stike. TKS a lot
  • Beli
    Thank - you for this succulent recipe....Went to the page you suggested and alreasy saved it. They suggest a Dry white do you agree?
  • Richard Fl
    Here are some POYAMS I did a few weeks ago!

POYAMSVEGGIESBREAD.jpg
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Beli,
    I would soak the plank for 2hrs.
    Ross
  • Richard Fl
    When I lived in Guadalajara in the '50's as a teenager Pulque from earthern jars was a bad after morning. Who am I to say, Oso Negro Vodka was good also.
  • If you ever get the chance, alder planks with halibut. OMG you want to talk about an eggcelent eggperiance.
  • Richard, I have been around the world twice, two county fairs and a peanut boil, but I can't say I know just what a POYAM is. Can you educate me?
    Thanks...
    Rex
  • Richard Fl
    Southern slang for potatoes and yams=poyams
  • Many thanks.... I can sleep peaceful tonight.

Rex...
  • Richard Fl
    Potatoes, Mashed, Cedar-Planked, POYAMS, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    3 Large Yukon Gold Potatoes
    1 Large Yam
    Butter
    Sour Cream
    Parmesan Cheese
    Bacon Bits
    Garlic powder
    Salt/Pepper
    Parsley/Chives for garnish
    Cedar Planks

Procedure:
    1 Peel the potatoes and cut into small pieces, 1 1/2 inch or so. Boil for 12-15 minutes, not mushy. Mash or use a potato ricer. Mix in melted butter, sour cream, parmesan cheese, bacon bits, seasoning.
    2 Take pre-soaked cedar planks and put poyams on them. Place in BGE 350 indirect for 30-40 minutes. Remove add butter, parsley/chives and serve.

Servings: 6
    Preparation time: 45 minutes
    Cooking time: 3 hours and 45 minutes

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/05/25
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Personally I don't care for the flavor of cedar planks, but I've used sugar maple and apple planks with great results. I've also come to appreciate cooking the meat on a pre-charred side of the board. The reason is, the part of the meat directly contacting uncharred wood tastes like wet lumber and the bottom 1/4 inch or so of the meat is sort of boiled in it's own juices, however, cooking on charred wood allows the fats and juices to run off through the burn crevices and the sweet smoky flavor of the wood permeates throughout the meat. Very similar to direct coal cooking, but you can cook larger cuts for longer periods of time without burning the exterior to a cinder.
    For pork loin I would recommend cooking with the maple and shingle your house with the cedar.
  • Beli
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ........and I thought you were talking about chickens.......well...that´s my spanish influence
  • Beli
    Thanks Ross.....I´ll soak them for a good while..........
  • Beli
    I´ll have to buy some different planks.....yes will try alder....& halibut good!!!!!!!!
  • Beli
    It´s all this little great details that can make all the difference. Thanks. I already made up my mind...will use the maple for sure & instead of pineaple
    will add mango chutney....see how it goes next friday.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    that's an interesting take on using the charred side.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Beli
    I¨ll have to try this next friday :woohoo: