Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gas grill

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Nothing will ever take the place of my BGE, but am looking for advice on a new propane grill. Anybody have preference on regular versus infared? Lowes and Home Depot has both but getting someone to help is difficult

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    What do you want to do?

Mike
  • Unknown
    Options
    My old Weber is worn out. I use the gas to cook steaks, chops, burgers, vegetables, fish, etc. I am wondering if the infrared would be a better choice than regular. I can't find any sights or blogs to get unbiased opinions.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Sound like you need to get better acquainted with your BGE. Ask and we will help.
  • BGEWDE
    BGEWDE Posts: 29
    Options
    JUST GET AN EGG OR ANOTHER EGG... YOU WONT BE SORRY!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Why on Earth would you not use your BGE to cook steaks, chops, burgers, vegetables, fish, etc.?

Seriously?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I thought you might be wondering about tailgates, you can do all that at home with a BGE.

Mike
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Don't worry about BTU's just get the longest and widest one you can. My Webber just doesn't even come close to holding all the Egg toys. Guess I need a bigger gasser. :blush:
  • Parcall
    Parcall Posts: 47
    Options
    It really depends on what you can spend.

In the mid-price range, it's just hard to beat Weber and they are easy to get parts for. Mine is 14 years old, and in Florida's climate that is a long time.

At the upper end DCS, Lynx, and Alfresco are top notch. I understand that the DCS burners hold up better in a high humidity climate like Florida than the burners on the Lynx, which is great in dry climates. All three are available with infrared features.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Wow why did you buy the egg if your not going to cook steaks, chops, burgers, vegetables, fish, etc. You can't get any thing better to cook all that on then an egg. When I first read your first post I thought you might use the gasser to keep things warm in while you do other cooks on your egg. Slow down some and think about cooking all those things on your egg you will be very happy if you do.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Viking has a nice machine for around 7K. It's got a built in Primo. Of course, for that money you could get every size egg and most of the eggcessories.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    holy crap. if you think the BGE smokes well, it will grill all that stuff better than gas (or infrared) ever could.

holy sh!t. there are dudes heres that kicked their expen$ive infrareds to the curb after getting a BGE.

honestly... you can;t cook a steak better over gas. and an infrared may cook it, but there's no flavor added (via smoke) other than the sear.

dude. seriously. try a steak on the egg before you waste any money. if they told me i could never smoke on the egg again, i'd still be happy, because it grills steaks, veggies, fish, etc. better than anything else. webers come close, but they can't get as hot for steaks, and forget about pizza or bread.

sounds like you bought a convertible porsche in order to cruise slowly and pick up chicks, and now you want something that will go fast. um. it's a porsche. it goes fast better than anything else.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks to those who actually tried to help answer my question instead of slamming me. I have cooked most everything including steaks, chops, veggies and the like on the egg, but I cook out almost daily and when I get home from work, I want to flip a switch cook, eat and relax for the evening. On the weekends and when I have plenty of time, I use the BGE.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Maybe I missed something, but who "slammed" you?
  • stike
    Options
    i don't think we intended to slam you. but we also were not privy to the rather important point that a prime consideration is that you like to "flip a switch" and cook.

by all means, if expedience is the prime motivator, go gas.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    infared is hotter.
    If you are looking for a strong sear, go that way.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    ?Slamming you!?
    I saw several people politely suggest you try using your BGE as a grill before spending the $$$$ to replace a gasser. If you call that slamming,...

edited by me.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    A Leading consumer magazine picked this as a best buy at 450 dollars

Blue Ember by Fiesta FG50069-U401 (Home Depot)

If I had my W*** Silver Genesis I would give it to ya free! NO JOKE :P

Hope this helps! Pharmeggist
    P.S. After some time my wife lights the egg for me if I have the firebox of my egg(s)loaded with lump in advance. This took some patience for this to happen. She likes my pizza better now than takeout :blush:
  • DuckEgger
    DuckEgger Posts: 4
    Options
    I have a Solaire Anywhere Portable infared grill. It is small, quite handy. Can use either bottled gas or a canister. Is ready to grill in 3 minutes. Given that its only 21 inches by 13 inches at the grill, it's best at cooking for 1 to 3 people, 4 in a pinch. I use it to grill pork tenderloin, chicken breasts, thighs.. Steaks.. Kaboobs, Fish and to a lessor extent, vegtables for my small family. It is very single purpose grill.

If you were going to grill a lot of fatty foods, hambergers, sausages, or use a lot of sauces while you grill, then a regular gas grill might be a better purchase.

If you are set on having a large gas grill, many recent mfg's are mixing infared and regular gas grills in one cabinet.

I also have a medium BGE. Which I bought sometime after the Solaire infared grill. I bought the BGE because of the short comings of the small infared grill. No such thing as pulled pork on an infared grill. The volume of food I can grill on the medium BGE far out classes the Solaire infared grill.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    quote "sounds like you bought a convertible porsche in order to cruise slowly and pick up chicks"

Is not such a bad idea - chicks were pretty fun, now it is a chick is pretty fun. Of course now I had better use a convertible porche to go fase and nuthin else or the Mrs will smack me up against the wall.

Nevertheless, puzzeling post.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Slam you, no. It just seems we all went the other way. Gas to egg.

If it is really you want to flip a switch an cook, then the egg is the way to go.

Dump the lump, turn on the gas bottle, and click the weed burner.

If all you are trying to do is get quick 'heat to the meat' then get a weed burner. I can have my large up to 400° and stable is 30 seconds or less even with with the outside temp at -10°.

I think the only advantage a gasser has is one doesn't have to clean ash out and doesn't have to put lump in the egg.

To answer yiour question, it really doesn't matter. Get a gasser that has both burner and IR cooking ability.

GG
  • stike
    Options
    he bought the egg to go slow, and now he's asking around about what's good to go fast. ummm. the egg, also?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    He wants to spend lots of money on a storage facility for his Eggcessories. :woohoo:
  • jbrodie
    jbrodie Posts: 111
    Options
    ConsumerReports.org has a recent comparison and charts on gassers. Highest prices are not the highest rated. Check it out.