Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Unreadable thermometer

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My lrg BGE is just over a year old. I had to buy new felt and decided to buy a new thermometer while I was there since the old one had a loose cover. The new one is much more metal and the glass is flat rather than a plastic dome. BETTER I THOUGHT! Well it rained...and rained....and rained, 6.5 inches in 24 hours. Now I have moisture in the new dial. I have left it out in the sun, put it in my food dehydrator for 24 hours at 150 degrees and now it is in the oven at 250. I can't get the moisture out. Any ideas? Thanks. TD

Comments

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    TD,[p]Had a similar problem. Baked mine in the oven at around 250°. No set time, just keep checking.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    TD, once you do get it dried out then buy a small tube of clear scilcone and seal the seams and around the nut in back. While the seams appear to be crimped tightly the water (as you saw) can wick up inside. On real close inspection you'll also see minute gaps exist on the face as well. Also force some scilcone in there. After it has cured in 24 hrs use a straight edge razor blade to clean up the face. One last hint put a small spacer of some sort on the thermometer stem to keep the adjustment nut from coming in direct contact with the dome. Some use a piece of cork, some a metal clip, but I just use a small wooden wheel made for toys.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    RRP, Thanks for the info. What is the reason for the spacer of wood or cork? TD

• Unknown
    Options
    Kelly Keefe, Thanks, after four hours at 250 the moisture is gone. This forum is great. Thanks for helping out. TD