Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Go Discovery and God Bless

FlaPoolman
FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Took these from the front yard about 35 - 40 miles south.

The launch

101_1992.jpg

101_1993.jpg

101_1994.jpg

Right at separation but doesn't show well in the pic

101_1995.jpg

The contrail

101_1996.jpg

Even after 35 years of launches I still get goose bumps.
Trying to set up an unofficial Egg cook here on the beach and time it with a Shuttle launch but running into a few snags. If I get it worked out it should be this fall.

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Great blast-off. Looks like NASA got RichardFL's OK to go...

Spring "Up Up And Away" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    so many people are blase' about launches and the space program. i'm with you, always amazing. saw only one launch, and that was from ormond beach i think, many miles away. amazing how fast she's up and gone.

when i was working 24/7 on my thesis, i had a television which had the NASA channel. each shuttle launch was broadcast from maybe 24 hours before hand all the way thru. the audio was from mission control and the shuttle, and they had cameras in the shuttle, from the ground, the cargo bay, etc. very cool. i got hooked, because i worked a lot of 18, 20 hour days, and it was nice to have on.

i wonder if they still have that channel....
    not up here they don't.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • FlaPoolman
    Yes and you may not know it yet but you were voted to be in charge of all future NASA plumbing issues. :laugh: Now for the salary issue :( :( maybe Richard can be your agent.
    Hope all's well with you and Judy
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I forgot to look. I thought it was a night launch for some reason. I can see it good from Tampa also.
  • FlaPoolman
    Yea I gotta admit it has become blase' because I could have driven 10 min. and took the pictures from the beach but it's still a thrill when you can follow it with the naked eye thru separation but the sound, while impressive, is less than a Delta or Titan but always great.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    well. your "blase' " and other people's "blase' " are different things!

some folks don't even look up. and i'll bet there are even a few who think it's faked.

you know, like the moonshot was!

hahahaha
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I grew up in Jacksonville FL and got to see the end of the Apollo launches and the Shuttle era. Our parents would take us down there. I can still remember standing on the shoreline of an inshore river or lagoon with my jaw agape and eyes wide with awe. I still get that feeling just watching it on TV.

Can you imagine the TRex'ing you could do beneath those engines? VERY short cook times;)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Although i must admit i dont go out of my way to watch the launch (yes stike there is a NASA channel on Direct TV), that is really neat. I remember those days in grade
    school where we watched all the launches.
    What I find most interesting about launches is how we still use all the same energy to get into orbit in this ever-going age of technology. I cant imagine siting in a tiny capsule above all that fuel not knowing my fate- and at that speed.
    God bless to those spacedudes!
    ST
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Spring Chicken and NASA.... Naaaaaa. There's no way I'm going "up there" to check the plumbing.

As for Richard representing me in salary negotiations, he's such a pushover I'd end up paying NASA LOL.

Besides, they never paid me for suggesting using a Big Green Egg as a Booster Rocket Booster. Or my suggestion to call one of the Space Shuttles, "Rooster." That way my Booster Rocket Booster could be installed on Rooster. Catch my drift?

Spring "It's All Downhill From Up There" Chicken
  • FlaPoolman
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ok I guess they will have to go to their 2'nd choice. Since TNW's been blasting thermo's it might be him :whistle::blush: I was pulling for you Leroy. You've always been the plumbing eggspert. :woohoo: :huh:
  • BGEWDE
    BGEWDE Posts: 29
    Being originally from Huntsville, AL, those launches never get old. We have a different feeling about the space program around these parts. I recently met Buzz Aldrin and I wouldnt want to tangle with him even at his age... Truly a mans man.

Here is a video, not Buzz but still a powerful message from Apollo 8http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Ipb8-CLDM
  • FlaPoolman
    The Apollo era was great and the astronauts for sure had brass balls but I think I could have out driven him with the golf ball :woohoo: :woohoo: My brother is a pad mechanic on the Delta pad and pre 9/11 used to get a lot of up close tours (talking 8 ft. away while it's on the pad) Can sometimes still get the tour but not like it was but still a chill when driving down the road and a launch goes off. Makes me wish they found water on Mars and needed a poolman. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: I'm there with a 4 iron. ;)
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Great looking pictures Pat. Looks like you were right on top of it allmost. The week we come out there is going to be a satellite lunch, and we are even looking forward to that and seeing you and Wendy, more Wendy then you buddy thats for sure. LOL Happy Egging
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Pat,
    Each time I watch a launch it takes me back to STS-1. Back in the days when the most coveted thing in Brevard was a car pass to the cape for a launch. I think we spent several nights camping waiting for the first one to go off. Watched Challenger from the beach in Indiatlntic. i'll never forget that day. Caught the countdown on TV at t-25, called my dad in Stuart to see if he was watching. Still me me chills to watch. There is absolutely nothing more awe inspiring.

mike