Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili w/ Habaneros?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All, [p]Got some Habaneros. Anyone have a good Chili recipe, or something else to use them in? Maybe something too cook on the Egg? I have a dutch oven for the purpose, but haven't really tried to do a chili cook on the egg yet.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Jamesw,[p]I haven't been making my chili very spicey lately, as I've found it better to let the individual adjust the heat to their liking (kids in the house!).[p]However, I does love my habaneros! I smoked a batch of them last month, and have been using them in all kinds of things.[p]Sorry I don't have any If you get a hankering to try smoking em, just keep you temp as low as you can, typically 200 or less, and prepare to wait a while. I did mine whole, but if you have gloves, you could stem and cut them if you like. Some people remove the seeds and ribs, but I like the heat myself. The ribs are where the glands that produce capsaicin (pure heat!) so I like to leave them intact.[p]When it comes time to use these little fire bombs, i just toss one in my morter and grind with the pestle (or is that the other way around?) until its a fine powder, and chuck it in my food. [p]Yum. Ouch. Grin.[p]Sorry, I don't have any secret chili recipes lately, but I thought I'd share the smoking habs idea with y'all.[p]Have fun!
    bc

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    bc,
    Do you use any smoking chips? I assume it's indirect? I tried jalapenos without much luck.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wardster,[p]Yup, I used a lot of wood chips. I definately wanted to get some smoke in there. I think I used apple, if I recall correctly.[p]This is an indirect procedure, as this process is more of a drying one than a than a cooking one.[p](Wow, looking at my last post there I can really see the effects of using my laptop's keyboard! Sorry all, I'm not quite as *stoopid* as I type... :) )