Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum. You can also find a lot of information, cooking tips and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

BGE/Kumado and venting - observation

GordyGordy Posts: 49
edited 11:48AM in EggHead Forum
On the 4th of July we cooked FIVE Boston Butts - dinner for around 32 patriots. I started 2 on my large in the wee morning hours on my BGE. The next morning my buddy who was supposed to cook two additional butts hadn't started and was out in the boat. I went over to his place to get it started. He has an old Kumado that came with the place. It's an oldie but a goodie. I cleaned it all out per Brant's instructions and loaded up that old dog with new lump. I noticed that the fire box and ring were not tight aginst the egg like our BGEs and that air would/could actually be able to circulate between the egg itself and the firebox and ring. What does this do for venting/circulation etc. I've cooked a steaks, burgers and chicken on it before and the old Kumado heats up good and hot even though the bottom vent only opens about 1/4 of the way. [p]Old sucker works good except for the old style hinge (like a mini) or if you grab the handle you'll touch the outside of the egg.

Comments

• Wise OneWise One Posts: 2,645
    Gordy, I've got a friend who has a house on Lake Hartwell that also came with an old cooker. I just replaced his firebox, firering (they were broken up) and grate (it had some plastic melted on it). Hopefully he can get his up and cooking real soon.

• GordyGordy Posts: 49
    Wise One,
    Hope you enjoy meals at his place as much as I do at my buddy Tim's. Tell your friend our places are in Fairplay Cove - off of exit 2 in SC. Look for the ski boats with the really good skiers (our kids)