Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE/Kumado and venting - observation

Options
Gordy
Gordy Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On the 4th of July we cooked FIVE Boston Butts - dinner for around 32 patriots. I started 2 on my large in the wee morning hours on my BGE. The next morning my buddy who was supposed to cook two additional butts hadn't started and was out in the boat. I went over to his place to get it started. He has an old Kumado that came with the place. It's an oldie but a goodie. I cleaned it all out per Brant's instructions and loaded up that old dog with new lump. I noticed that the fire box and ring were not tight aginst the egg like our BGEs and that air would/could actually be able to circulate between the egg itself and the firebox and ring. What does this do for venting/circulation etc. I've cooked a steaks, burgers and chicken on it before and the old Kumado heats up good and hot even though the bottom vent only opens about 1/4 of the way. [p]Old sucker works good except for the old style hinge (like a mini) or if you grab the handle you'll touch the outside of the egg.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Gordy, I've got a friend who has a house on Lake Hartwell that also came with an old cooker. I just replaced his firebox, firering (they were broken up) and grate (it had some plastic melted on it). Hopefully he can get his up and cooking real soon.

• Gordy
    Gordy Posts: 49
    Options
    Wise One,
    Hope you enjoy meals at his place as much as I do at my buddy Tim's. Tell your friend our places are in Fairplay Cove - off of exit 2 in SC. Look for the ski boats with the really good skiers (our kids)