Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

walmart out of lump

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
walmart is my only source for lump and they are out. the nearest one is about 75miles and i have a cook coming up. does anyone have any suggestions? if I don't buy heavy during the summer i wont have any for the winter because they don't carry it

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    In my area there are few convenient Walmarts - the nearest is about 25 miles so, like you, I stock up. But I've also found lump of various brands carried by many True Value hardware stores, some Asian food stores, Whole Foods, the local Safeway, etc. Not in the quantity I prefer and usually higher prices but still there in an emergency.

Unfortunately Walmart usually does not restock after mid-summer. You might want to call ahead to the more distant store and ask if they have it available and how much they have - then buy as much as you can carry. I'd also anticipate the price going up after this season because of the fuel costs.
  • bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    Check with Lowes......they carry Cowboy Lump.....it's not great but will get you out of a jam if you need it.
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    Check with Ace. If they don't have any you can order through their main office and it will be delivered to your nearest store. They carry Cowboys also.
  • NooBBQ
    NooBBQ Posts: 134
    Options
    Compared to the Royal Oak Walmart carries, Cowboy brand is...

Let's just say, not the same.
  • bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    When I first got my egg I bought Royal Oak USA from walmart. I bought 300 or 400# last fall as bbq stuff is seasonal out here.

About 45 days ago I began to call some of the walmarts and none of them had any lump.

I just got off of the phone with a manager. They looked up the sku from last year and searched Royal Oak and the distribution centers are not stocking any lump.

From what I was told walmart is not carrying any lump at all.

BGE out here is relative expensive and I expect will get more pricey as the fuel charges kick in.

GG
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Many thanks for the heads-up! I usually get my lump (R/O) from a local W/M. I'll have to skoot over there tomorrow and see what's up! BGE lump here sells for $22/20# at a local Ace Hardware (also an EGG dealer). Seems like they should offer the lump for a bit less if they want to sell some cookers!~~
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    okiesmokie,

Where in the state are you? I'm in Stillwater and last I checked at my wally world there was half a pallet left. Based on this thread I think I will go buy a bunch tonight.

Bruce
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    What about your BGE dealer?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    They are still carrying it here GG. $5:87 for 10 pounds.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Do you have a Kroger out there? They now carry lump.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    BGE dealers out here are $22 to $27 a bag for BGE.

GG
  • NooBBQ
    NooBBQ Posts: 134
    Options
    After picking up one bag at my local walmart (that I previously passed up do to a tear in the bag) I hit two other Walmart's to no avail although the managers telling me it is a continued skew and more should be forthcoming, today I hiot a walmart 20 miles away, and they had half a pallet left, I took 10 bags, to bring my total to 12, which should last me a little bit, definitely past this wally world shortage.

nooBBQ,

p.s. for my local friends, Walmart right by the Idaho Center.