Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stirring it up - new gasket!

Options
jamiemeyer
jamiemeyer Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After I used the XLBGE for a dozen low and slow cooks as a new egger, I decided to crank it up a bit. I got adventurous and decided it was time to do tandoori chicken.
I am still hesitant to go for the super temps that I see y'all doing on the LBGE, so 600 on the XL was good enough for me.
After the tandoori cook, yes it was great, and no pics to share (I suck), I found the dreaded "stuck gasket" syndrome. I had one spot on the grill that just disintegrated, and is now a gaping hole.
So, with the grill being about four months old, I am going to have a chat with the dealer. I am hopeful that they will step up with a replacement nomex replacement. Is this the right move? Or do I just make the move to the Rutland?
Let the debate begin!!
Thanks, y'all!

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    jamiemeyer,

There is no debate... some people like Rutland (fiberglass) and think it is great. Some people don't care and don't use a gasket at all and everything inbetween.

Last herd, Nomex is only available from BGE HQ.

Both Rutland and BGE say Do Not use Rutland on the egg. There is a third material which is Cotronics which is reported to be good also. Personally I will use Nomex as per BGE.

So use whatever you like. Rutland or Nomex you will have people swear by both.

There is a thought/myth that the the gaskets need to be 'cured'. I am not convinced that it the case. It appears the failure is first with the adhesive and if temp gets high enough then the felt gasket material itself. Rutland and Cotronics have a very high heat rating as does Nomex. What we hear is mostly adhesive failure. There has been 3 or 4 posts this last week about which adhesive to use for both Nomex and Rutland.

The failure can happen on a 1st burn or a 40th burn, I know from personal experience. I have had 3 gasket failures on the large and one on the medium. I am beginning to lean towards a poor seal between the bowl and dome. If hot air excapes through the sides of the egg there is a good chance gasket damage will follow.

Others will express their thoughts also.

Good luck on your decision.

GG
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I have two Eggs. Both gaskets are "fried," as the expression goes.

Both Eggs can still hold a temp of 275F -- so allow me to quote Alfred E. Newman, "What? Me worry?"

If-'n-when I can no longer hold 275F, I'll worry about what to do next.

~ Best Wishes!

~ Broc
    :) :unsure: :)
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I'm still using the original felt gastkets on both, and I crank the heat up on both eggs, also. I have noticed that the gasket is thinning out toward the inside of the dome and the bottom, and that it is not as spongy. Just waiting to do the nomex thing here before too long, but there hasn't been any leaking from the LBGE yet on low-and-slows, and that one has the worst damage to it.

Let me know how your replacement efforts turn out.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    For better or worse you toasted your gasket. I do not think that the dealer has a dog in the fight.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I clearly toasted my gasket, my dealer replaced my gasket and offered the labor out here at my location. It was the weekend and my first cook. I decided do th work myself. The dealer drove out to my house to delvier the gasket.

Plug for all the dealers out there - buy from your dealer.

The second burn he offered to replace it at his cost including labor at my location. There was a post on the forum and I contacted BGE and, long story short, got a Nomex gasket.

With this said, the fault of the gasket burns was clearly my doing - just above and beyond dealer service as well as HQ service to their customers.

GG