Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAPP gas hints or do's and don't

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can I start some dialogue about hints using MAPP gas? Last night was my first time using it and a torch with a 3 foot hose. It took me a short learning curve to realize how much I had to turn the valve to produce a flame. I must have been doing something wrong though as I had it burning for at least 4 minutes to get the lump to catch a good fire. I have read people here say 20 seconds was all that is needed. I must not have it high enough? Any ideas on length of the flame? I do know after I turned it off the torch stayed cheery red for quite some time.

Comments

• kat,
    All I know for certain is that they can be used to successfully ignite about 100 bottle rockets at once![p]Gotta love it.[p]Matt.

• South O,
    here I was using lump...how much does a 20# bag of bottle rockets cost?

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    kat,[p]Iv'e been lighting my eggs since Larry or whomever suggested it. My Mapp gas comes in the small cylinder that you get from any local hardware store. I simply ignite the torch and hold it on 4 or 5 various spots on the lump (depending on the size of your egg of course)for 20 seconds or until I hear that oh too familiar popping of the lump.[p]That's it. Seems to work just fine.[p]Hope that helps kat.[p]Mick

• BobbyG
    BobbyG Posts: 67
    kat,
    I am also using MAPP Gas to light old humpty. It's really a much easier and a faster way than any other method. I have found that if you let the flame sit in one spot, you tend to get the popping (and it hurts like hot grease) so I move my flame around in a circle or figure eight over a two or three inch spot for about one minute. at this point your ten minutes or more ahead of the old starter cubes.[p]Another thing is that I'm using the TS4000 head which creates a perfect "blue" flame every time. you may have a differnt model and need to adjust you flame so that it is blue and thus burining at it's hottest setting. Good luck. [p]PS. I bought my torch off of ebay for $20, about half the price in the local stores.

• BobbyG, right there you told me something. I never saw a blue flame and I had no light to interfer. I bet I just didn't have it cranked open enough! My flame was gold.
  • BobbyG,
    I recently got a MAPP torch as well and have tried it once or twice. The warnings on the instructions cautioned against holding the canister and torch anywhere less than 60-degrees to parallel to the ground or else flareups can occur. Given the shape of the egg I pretty much have to hold mine this way. Have you had any problems with this?

• MikeK, you didn't direct that question to me, but that very warning is why I selected the kit that had the 3 foot hose, so the tank could stand upright and 3 foot from the fire! Price wise it wasn't much different.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    kat,
    Ahh, you youngsters, always in a hurry. I use a chimney, just because it is so much fun. It takes longer but I enjoy it more. Reminds me of the story of the young rooster and the old rooster sitting up at the top of a hill looking down at all the chickens in the farm yard below. The young rooster says, "Why don't we run down there and get us a chicken!!!!????" and the old rooster says, "Why don't we walk down and get 'em all?"[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    TS40ZKCN.jpg
    <p />kat,
    I have been lighting my eggs for over a year with MAPP gas...I hold the torch in the center for 20 to 25 seconds,works perfect every time.Here is a picture of the kit i use.
    Larry

• The Naked Whiz, I hear ya, but I had gotten the MAPP just in case things were pressed for time and last night Momma Kat says "It's time to eat, NOW!" - I d*mn near eliminated the middle step (using the BGE) and went right from MAPP to the meat! Ever hear of PrestoBurger?

• Barb
    Barb Posts: 10
    kat,[p]I'm new. What is MAPP GAS? [p]Barb

• Barb,
    I can't get too technical here as I don't know a lot, but MAPP burns considerably hotter than the common propane gas. Nowadays they make torches which can use both gases. I have a welder kit which saddles an oxygen tank along with a MAPP tank, which really burns hot - but I opted for a single tank torch with the 3 foot hose for nearly the same money as a torch with a built in ignitor. I was partly kidding in my post, but right now I'll probably continue to use Weber cubes and only resort to MAPP when I need to speed the process along.

• Barb
    kat,[p]Thanks, I've been reading the forum about the Weber cubes. I went to Lowe's and Home Depot and neither had the cubes. They had the fire starters but they were like a white paste packet. I know the starter weren't correct. Any ideas where I might find the Weber cubes? Thanks for your help![p]Barb
  • Basselope
    Basselope Posts: 102
    In the LA area both Lowes and Home Despot carry starter cubes. Just so happen I bought a box at HD this very afternoon. The box is labeled FireStarters lighter cubes Weber stock #3975.
    Hope this helps

• Basselope
    Basselope Posts: 102
    Don't ask me how, but somehow I think I did that post by mistake. What kind of computer/brain fart combo that was I don't know.
    Sorry for any confusion.

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    kat,[p]This was my experience when I bought some mapp gas. I thought I was getting such a deal when the torch part was something like 8.99. Then I got home and saw on the package it was for propane gas only (they have symbols at the bottom of the package indicating what kind of gas can be used with said torch).[p]Seeing how mapp gas burns much more hot than propane I didn't want to risk blowing myself up! So I went back to Home Depot and traded it in for one that was like $45. That set me back a few pennies, but I get a blue flame and lit charcoal in 20 seconds. Every time.[p]My suggestion is to make sure you have the right torch for the job. You'll be thanking yourself in the long run.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• fiver29, no I knew to get the proper torch to be used for MAPP. I have concluded I just didn't have it turned on hard enough to achieve the blue flame stage, but thanks anyway!

• BobbyG
    BobbyG Posts: 67
    MikeK,
    Well, I guess that I should have read the directions! Thus far I haved not had any problems that appeared to be dangerous. The only thing that has happened is when I run the torch for an extended time, it will blow itself out. I just hafe to re-click to re-start.[p]see ya, Bob

• Barb
    Basselope ,[p]Thanks for your help. As far as the computer goes, I thought I was the only one who did those kind of things.[p]Barb
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Barb, did those "paste packets" as you called them look like two miniture clear plastic ice cube trays covered with a alumimun foil sheet and they were pure white? Ummmmm, I think you were HOT and didn't realize it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Barb,
    BBQ's Galore always seems to have them in stock....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz