Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KFC original chicken recipe

Options
madmike
madmike Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Look what I found :whistle: I haven't tried it but I will in the near future.
I imagine it'd be good on the Egg.

KFC Original Chicken Recipe

(Oven Method)

Genuine KFC secret recipe

THE ORIGINAL RECIPE INCLUDES 3 tablespoons of MSG, HOWEVER WE DON'T RECOMMEND ITS USE.

Ingredients;

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tbsp celery salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp dry mustard
4 tbsp paprika
2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp ground ginger

Cooking Methods

Mix all ingredients well in a large bowl.
Dip chicken pieces in beaten eggs.

Then turn them over in regular bread crumbs (commercial).

Finally plunge them in the flour-spices mixture (above).

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Place chicken in a tray and cover with foil (shiny side out) Cook 40 minutes.

Remove the foil then cook for another 40 minutes.

Baste lightly with oil 5 minutes before the end.

Let stand 5 minutes and serve.

There's some more here like this
http://www.makingcurry.co.uk/kentucky_fried_chicken.htm

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    that supposed to be the "old" original or that crappy "new" original. I swore that new recipe was so bad the last two times I had it I'd never eat it again and I haven't!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Wanna bet that it's not just like theirs?
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Kopy Kat has their version as does the Seceret Recipie folks.

GG
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    i was told that the original had 7 up syrup in the mix some where. but we will not be able to copy them completely (if we wanted to) because they cook under pressure.
    but it is a "secret recipe" so i may be wrong.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    New Coke vrs. Old Coke. Marketing. Recipe sounds good but, I doubt it is KFC.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    RU Eggsperienced Posts: 1,527
    Options
    Unfortunately I had a history of working at a KFC in High School (numerous yrs ago to pay for my '68 mustang w/302)...
    Well the spices comes pre-mixed in big bags w/the flour with the Colonel smiling at you... Now 1 prob is that you pressure cook Orig recipe chicken and don't bake it... So the "recipe" above is in serious dobut... Personally after cooking 1000s of lbs of Orig recipe 25 yrs ago- I still want nothing to do with it...

Cheers..
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You are twelve spices short. The Original Recipe has 23 spices in it and like has been said it was deep fried under pressure.

That recipe is still held in a vault though I am sure it's been hacked..
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    Options
    The knock on MSG is a continuing urban legend. Cooks Illustrated did a study of reactions to MSG and found out that the way the food was prepared was the causing the reaction, not the MSG. Every broth or soup you buy contains MSG aka Accent. If you want to enhance your soups and stews use one teaspoon of MSG per quart of finished product. The difference is subtle but real.
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Options
    KFC original or not, has anyone tried that recipe? Good eats doesn't have to be "original" recipe.
  • madmike
    Options
    I'll give this recipe a try and I'll go from there folks :whistle:
  • Smokin' Lady
    Smokin' Lady Posts: 158
    Options
    My best "fried chicken" recipe is soaking chicken pieces in a mixture of buttermilk, s&p and a heaping tbsp. of DP Tsunami Spin for a few hours, or overnight. Then shake pieces in a bag with flour, s&p and more Spin. Did at 350 deg. with extended grid, and it turned out great.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    give this a try when you do the chicken:::

Slaw, KFC Style

Smoke and Beers,Here is the Colonel's recipe I was talking about.

8 cups very finely chopped cabbage
    1/4 cup shredded carrot
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1/4 cup milk
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup buttermilk
    1- 1/2 Tbs white vinegar
    2- 1/2 Tbs lemon juice

Be sure that the cabbage and carrots are chopped up into very fine pieces, about the size of rice kernels. Combine the sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, and lemon juice and beat until smooth. Add the cabbage and carrots. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

Recipe Type
    Salad, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: thirdeye

Source: BGE Forum, Thirdeye, 04/01/06

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Meatatarian
    Meatatarian Posts: 69
    Options
    Pyro wrote:
    The knock on MSG is a continuing urban legend. Cooks Illustrated did a study of reactions to MSG and found out that the way the food was prepared was the causing the reaction, not the MSG. Every broth or soup you buy contains MSG aka Accent. If you want to enhance your soups and stews use one teaspoon of MSG per quart of finished product. The difference is subtle but real.

The knock on MSG as an excitotoxin is biochemical fact. Who do I trust more on matters of biochemistry? PubMed or Cooks Illustrated?? Hmmmmm.....

That said, I love soy sauce!

Meat
  • madmike
    Options
    BENTE that slaw sounds good I'll give this a try aswell ;)
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    Options
    Meatatarian wrote:
    Pyro wrote:

The knock on MSG as an excitotoxin is biochemical fact. Who do I trust more on matters of biochemistry? PubMed or Cooks Illustrated?? Hmmmmm.....

That said, I love soy sauce!

Meat

The FDA classifies MSG as a "generally recognized as safe," or GRAS, substance, along with many other common food ingredients, such as salt, vinegar, and baking powder. This was done in 1959 and has been reaffirmed repeatedly.

The Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization and the World Health Organization have placed MSG in the safest category of food ingredients.

The European Communities' (EC) Scientific Committee for Foods reaffirmed MSG's safety and classified its "acceptable daily intake" as "not specified," the most favorable designation for a food ingredient. In addition, the EC Committee said, "Infants, including prematures, have been shown to metabolize glutamate as efficiently as adults and therefore do not display any special susceptibility to elevated oral intakes of glutamate."

Most food additives including salt, pepper and MSG can turn deadly or cause severe reaction when taken in too high a dose. I think I’ll settle for the findings of the FDA, the WHO, the EC Scientific Committee for Foods and the AMA in preference to PubMed.

While I could hope this legend would just go away, I know it will not. I too love soy sauce, fish sauce, and most Asian foods. I use one teaspoon per quart of any stew or soup I make. My wife who will not go to a Chinese restaurant because she 'reacts to MSG', eats the soups and stews I provide w/o worry or any effect. I just tell her I am using Accent. What to do?

Wayne