Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Results

Options
Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Brisket_3.jpg
<p />Here is a pic of the brisket I did today. This turned out FANTASTIC. Absolutely delicious. Ended up cooking together with a pork butt (butt on top), and pulled the brisket at 187 - the butt is still going. I think I get the idea of how the polder probe is supposed to "feel" now, as a reference for future cooks.[p]Here is a pic just before consumption.[p]This forum is awesome - thank you all for the information.[p]Cheers![p]- Mike

Comments

• Jim R.
    Jim R. Posts: 103
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Wow!!!Great cook!!

• Hooch
    Hooch Posts: 9
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Ahhhhh...looks fabulous. Too early in the morning for that picture! I now know what I'm cooking this weekend.

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,[p]That really looks wonderful, and really juicey! All of these pictures of briskets lately is making me think about giving one a try.[p]Jethro
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,[p]and to think I cut up my flat last night for jerky on Saturday.[p]Can you e-mail me your recipe and procedure Mike?[p]Thanks[p]Mick

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    MickeyT.,[p]Just call my cook one of the many good graces of this forum, and the ability of the egg as a cooker. Check a few posts down regarding my questions from beforehand - this was only my second brisket, and I had NO idea how it would come out, as the first one tasted similar to shoe leather.[p]Here is what I did, however:[p]Rubbed with Ken Stone's Gilded Splinters and mustard 2 days before, and then cooked over a platesetter/drip pan/grid setup at 250 degrees with fat cap up for about 9 hours. Used mesquite and pecan for smoke. Pulled at 187 degrees internal per Nature Boy's "polder resistance" method. I then wrapped it in Saran Wrap and foil, and put it in a cooler to rest until dinner (about 2 hours).[p]Hope this helps![p]Cheers![p]- Mike[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Mike, it could be the picture quality I get with webtv, but it looks like you are slicng that with the grain instead of against.. Again, it could be my picture. [p]
    Dylan

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme,[p]Nope - not your TV. I just started slicing. I have tried it both ways in the past, and I'm not sure I can tell why the recommendation is to cut against the grain. Maybe a stupid question, but if you can explain it to me, it would be greatly appreciated.[p]Cheers![p]- Mike

• Unknown
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Hi Mike.. When you slice brisket, (well actually I beleive most meats benefit from slicing across the grain)
    what your doing is cutting those fibers in half..
    it doesn actually make the meat more tender but it is alot easier eating (chewing)..[p] Cutting the meat "with" the grain also makes it stringy.. Like it pulls apart you know, like a accordian, like shredded beef..[p]I always put the brisket before me, find the grain, it seems to me it always flows kinda diagonally..
    I follow that grain (against) to the middle of the brisket and cut it in half.. Then slice each half from the cut back..[p]When the brisket is done and looks like a big chunk of black
    Mass, its hard to find the grain..So before cooking, Alot of people will find the grain, take their knife and cut out a piece of the corner, going against the grain, of the brisket so they can see which way they want to slice by findng that corner after its done. [p]Dylan