Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - my foodsaver bit the dust....recommendations?

Options
AlaskanC
AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had it with Tilia Foodsavers! The latest one was a Game Saver pro turbo...blah blah.... big whoop - it crapped out on me while packaging up some halibut we caught on Monday. I think I got two uses out of it.

Soooo - I'm eyeballing some of the commercial ones, and I'm wondering if anybody has any insight?

Meanwhile, this p.o.s. is headed out to the garbage can!

foodsaver.jpg

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I have a Foodsaver 2440 that I have put through some heavy use. It hasn't failed me yet.

Not a commercial model but ...
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Cabelas sells one in their catalog that looks pretty nice for around $400. I have had my eye on it for awhile, but I keep spending all my disposable income on eggcessories. Vac-U-Paks are supposed to be decent too.
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    My Foodsaver lasted several years, but finally died a few weeks ago. I broke down and bought the Weston 2100. Not cheap, but it could suck the paint off the side of the house. It's the same unit that Cabela's sells. They run around $400.

Slick
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i dont get much use before my foodsaver bites the dust, i think if it was on the counter and used all the time it would last longer but i only use it a couple times per year and get maybe two out of them. i remember there was a lot of good things said about the v-33 years ago on the bbq forum and there was a guy selling them at half price refurbished but i cant seem to find that link. its pricey

http://www.creativecookware.com/vacuum_sealers.htm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I use the V2840 several times a month. I have never had a problem with it.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I've had the Foodsaver Professional 3 for six months now. I use it pretty much daily. It has some nice features like extended vacuum, additional seal time and a renovable guck tray. Before that it was Reber Famiglia fo years.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Unknown
    Options
    Somebody posted this several months ago. Don't have one but it might be what you're looking for. Looks nice.

provacuumsealers.com
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    yeap and now i am passing it to the test using almost every day! and may i add it works like a charm! thanks steve!
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Call the company. They might replace it. Mine puked several years ago and after a few uses. They replaced it for shipping. A good deal.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Did a fair amount of research a year or so ago..and this is the one that ended up on my wishlist...you did say "commercial"...I hope to own one within the next year....better prices than this link can be found....hope all is well with with you and yours...BIG XOXO...

http://www.profmarket.com/svp15.htm
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Yup - that's the kind I'm looking at. I'm done with the foodsaver type - I want to actually vacuum seal my stuff.

Hurry up & get one so I can find out if it works!! ;)

:kiss::kiss:
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    With that style you can actually seal up liquid...got a feelin you might pull the plug faster than me tho...been contemplating ya/nah for a while now...it aint cheap...but dam that thing is schweet...and the bags/rolls are cheaper than foodsaver stuff
  • Unknown
    Options
    i have a cabela's CG_15.. it's outstanding .... they have a ton of 'em in "bargain cave" .... in Hamburg PA store for 199 dollars..... give them a call.... i was just there the other day.... they have a pile of grinders ranging from 1/2 hp to 1.5 hp drastically marked down too.... i had a couple of cheapo suck and seals... they never last long....
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I looked at similar type units, but couldn't justify it (yet).

Here is a web site that gives a pretty god example of how they work:

http://www.chambersealers.com/