Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green Tomatoes Part II

Options
Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Changed a few things.

1) Instead of using an egg wash I used "The Chicken" sauce
2) Only floured once - no double dipping
3) Cooked higher in the dome - 350 for about an hour

Soaking the green tomatoes
101_2728800x600.jpg

Breaded and ready to go on the Egg (running low on "The Chicken" sauce :laugh: )
101_2729800x600.jpg

On the Egg higher in the dome
101_2733800x600.jpg

On the plate - but not for long :whistle:
101_2736800x600.jpg

These were crispier and the sauce shined through with a good bite - I'll do them this way the next time.

Comments

• madmike
    madmike Posts: 103
    Options
    Chicken sauce??Teach me master Frank in Houma :woohoo:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    First off -- brilliant idea to make a large batch of Randy's sauce and bottle it.

Secondly - to really crisp them up have you thought about a 6:1 flour corn starch mix for your breading? I do that for chicken wiht just a pinch of salt and get a really nice crisp flaky breading.

Once my maters get big enough I plan to try this. Great idea.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    The sauce is in the recipe section of the Naked Whiz's site under "The Chicken" by AZRP. You really should try the original recipe using chicken. I like the sauce a lot and have used it on speckled trout filets as well. It's spicy and kicks butt.
  • bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    Hey, I know that your Tigers are going to whip up on my Eagles this weekend in Baton Rouge.

If you are from Houma you gotta have Zattarians liquid crab boil.........just try one dipped in crab boil and its over.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I'll try that ratio - thanks. BTW - I'm sitting here eating them like potato chips.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    We have beaucoup Zatarains - I'll give it a try. If you haven't tried "The Chicken" yet, I highly recommend it. I'm geauxing for a beer to cool off my tongue. B)
  • bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    Make sure you dip quickly or go get an extra 12 pack
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    They look great Frank, gonna have to try that. I'll second the idea of bottling "The Chicken" is great. Can think of a lot of things I would have tried it on if I had it in the fridge. Might have to try it on a live shrimp when going for that gator trout :woohoo: . That should keep the smaller ones away. Thin sliced zuchini might be another option. You got me thinking now. Nice idea.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Eggplant :woohoo:
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hi Frank and others,
    I would like the recipe for "The Chicken" sauce by Naked Whiz / AZRP, but cannot locate it under the recipe section. Could someone help me , please?

Thank you, as I bought some yummy-looking green tomatoes yesterday and wanna try this recipe. I really looks delicious.
    Thank you,

Lynn, GA

The sauce is in the recipe section of the Naked Whiz's site under "The Chicken" by AZRP. You really should try the original recipe using chicken. I like the sauce a lot and have used it on speckled trout filets as well. It's spicy and kicks butt.