Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Egg Won't completely seal

Options
Bama Fire
Bama Fire Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've tried loosing and the tightening the bands, but I still don't geta good seal. I have the auto lock hinge. Any sugegstions?[p]

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Bama Fire,[p]What seems to be the problem - and where? The fact you said you have tightened and retightened the bands makes me wonder. When I removed my original bands to put the auto lock on - I broke the bolts. BGE says that is common because they are tight. I am first wondering if you have it tight enough. With the lid down - wiggle it as needed to seal well then tighten away. [p]My second thought has been a problem for many new owners and we have seen it many times on the forum. Do you recall seeing a small piece of abrasive tape on the ceramic under the bands to the rear of the Egg? There should be one for each band. The front fits into the dimple in the ceramic but the rear needs that abrasive tape to grip the bands.[p]Call BGE and they can advise you much better.[p]Tim
  • Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    Tim M,
    I don't recall seeing any tape on near the bands .. maybe that's my problem. I'll check this afternoon & if I can't find it, I'll contact the folks at BGE.[p]Thanks, Tim[p]Bama Fire

• Bama Fire,[p]i fried my felt gasket-thingy on one of my first 700-degrees+++ steak tries, probably because the top wasn't seated right. re-seated the unit, got a new gasket kit from BGE---arrived within a few days and even i got it on in a flash.
    now it's sealed up tight.
    Char-Woody had some good tips too.