Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help Don't want smokey taste all the time

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like a simple flavor without the smoke. Can it be done with dome closed? I cooked a chicken last night and it was a smoked flavor. I will be doing steak tonite and hope it will taste like the first time I cooked on the BGE. Since then I have smoked Ribs, and other foods for lengthy periods. I am leaning on using the BGE as a grill with Dome open for chops, steaks, fish etc.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Larry Schwartz,
    When you are cooking with charcoal, you will always have a slight wood smoke flavor. My wife also prefers very little smoke. Here is couple things you can try.[p]Try using smaller loads of lump, and getting a real hot fire, so all the coals are burning, then close the bottom vent to 1/4 inch or so, and leave the cap off. When the fire settles down, and the smoke thins to near nothing, you are ready to roll. this is what I usually do for direct cooks.[p]I have also found that cooking indirect at 400 creates a nice environment for chickens, with less smoke. [p]Couple things for you to try! Have fun in your quest, and enjoy eating your mistakes![p]Beers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    Get a gas grill.
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Larry Schwartz,[p]Are you using those firestarters to get it going? I've found if I don't let them burn all the way out before I put on whatever it is I'm cooking, a different taste gets imparted. Smokey? Maybe it comes across that way, but not in a good sense. If you're using those, try letting them burn all the way out first. If not...well, we'll keep thinking!