Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt - My First Long Cook

Felix
Felix Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here are a couple shots from the Memorial Day meal. This was my first Boston Butt, first long cook on the egg, my first long cook ever, actually. I followed the two write-ups on Naked Whiz's site; they were a big help. I was amazed at how much lump was left.

I did some ABTs and marinated shrimp, too, but I wasn't quick enough with the camera.

Just on the egg:

ButtOn2.jpg

18 hours later:

Butt-Done.jpg

Pulled:

Butt-Pulled.jpg

Comments

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Looks great! I got my first one on right now. First on the egg anyways. This is also only my second cook on my egg. I hate to jump the gun but after eating those ribs I cooked Saturday, Id have to say this was the best investment Ive made in a long time. Ill let you know how mine goes.
  • Very nice looking. Did you make your own sauce to go with it?
  • Felix
    Yeah, I did a couple sauces, but it didn't really need any.

I made a version of Elder Ward's vinegar sauce and another that was probably sacrilege. I just took some KC Masterpiece and added some minced garlic, honey, crushed red pepper, and a little maple syrup. Yeah, it was cheating, but I wanted to have something I knew folks would like that don't like spicy.

The rub was just a basic rub that I found somewhere here, along with the yellow mustard trick.
  • Felix
    I'll also add that it was probably the best thing I've eaten in my life. :woohoo:

We have a butcher down the street that gets all of his meat from local farmers. I met him early one morning last week and got a chance to chat with his supplier as he was dropping off my butt, along with all the other cuts. According to him, "that thing was squealing two days ago." B)

Delicious.
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Looks great. I want some.... B)
  • That looks great! I just did my first long cook ever this past weekend with two-butts. I was very happy with the Egg and can't wait to do it again next weekend.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Looks great - and don't kid yourself on the sauce - plenty of us subscribe to the "if you ain't cheatin', you anin't trying" philosphy when it comes to bbq sauce. I personnally am a big fan of doctoring Cattleman's Smokehouse!!

Felix wrote:
    Yeah, I did a couple sauces, but it didn't really need any.

I made a version of Elder Ward's vinegar sauce and another that was probably sacrilege. I just took some KC Masterpiece and added some minced garlic, honey, crushed red pepper, and a little maple syrup. Yeah, it was cheating, but I wanted to have something I knew folks would like that don't like spicy.

The rub was just a basic rub that I found somewhere here, along with the yellow mustard trick.
  • Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    I wish I had a butcher like that down the street from me, pulled pork looks good.