Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie and a picnic ham

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, I'm a newbie with the BGE having had one for about a week now. I just went out and bought an 8lb Gwaltney Pork Shoulder/Picnic ham. Can I treat this guy like a Boston butt and do the 20 hour cooking thing or am I going to waste my time? According to the label it's already smoked and ready to cook. Has anyone tried one of these?
I love the egg and all the burgers, steaks and chicken have turned out great so far. I'm itching to do one of the over-nighters though! What I have to figure out now is what do do with the $1000 IronWorks grill that won't be seeing any use anymore![p]Thanks

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Chuck Lane, if it says it is already smoked then I think you might be wasting your time (and a decent piece of meat) by trying to cook it for 20 hours. Try getting a fresh boston butt or a picnic shoulder (the term 'ham' usually refers to a cut from the leg not the shoulder) (unsmoked, uncooked) to try the 20 hour cook on.

• Unknown
    Options
    Oops, sorry, it's a picnic shoulder, it doesn't say ham on the label. This thing has apparently been cold smoked but is uncooked.

• Unknown
    Options
    Chuck Lane,
    I would go with a fresh butt or picnic and do the 20 hour cook. I have cooked hundred of them over the years on all kind of different smokers,but last week was the first time I ever did one on the BGE and it had to be the best one ever. A 11 lb picnic for 22 hours for a co-worker. I'll never give up my BGE :-) And i,m like you, I dont have much use for my other smokers.