Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st cook

Options
TNmike
TNmike Posts: 643
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hope ya'll don't tire of seeing everyones for 1st cook on their BGE. :) Here is a pic of mine.
I was conservetive since I was learning. A 4.2 lb pork loin cooked at 250* for 4 hrs (145* internal temp) and then opened vents to brown a little more. Seasoned only with a locally made 'rib rub'. I know the little loin looks pretty lonely on the XL BGE but bigger cooks to follow as I learn. Mike

DSC00591.jpg?t=1211836552

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    That does look pretty lonely on the XL... LOL

Congratulatios Mike,

Now for the all important question. Did you guys like it?

Kent
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Nice first cook, Mike. Looks super.
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Yea! it was great and looking forward to getting a little more experience and do some 'real cookin'. :) Mike
  • Fossil Frank
    Fossil Frank Posts: 285
    Options
    TNmike
    Looks like you're doing a good job on that loin. My first cook was some country style ribs and they turned out pretty darn good. The BGE is a wonderful piece of equipment.
    Frank from Indiana
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    Looks great Mike...I enjoy seeing and reading about success on the Egg. Pork loin was my first cook and it was great. Congrats...Bob
    :)

Opelika, Alabama
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    Looks great, Mike.

I only have a medium. My first cook was a skinless, boneless chickie breast. Boy did it look pale and lonely on my egg, but it might as well have been a 6 bone prime rib. I was soooooo pround of it. And I'm not sure I've cooked another one as good as it was, since then.

kWelcome and eep us posted.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Great lookin loin Mike...hard to be a good pork loin on the egg!!..great first choice! :) :woohoo:
  • cigarstock
    cigarstock Posts: 61
    Options
    TNMike,

I am there with ya. Just my second week owning one and had my 4th meal last night. Was to try a $55 piece of Tenderloin tonight but both college age children would rather go out on dates with boyfriend and girlfriend and spend there own (my) money. My son is not a big rib eater and he ate a WHOLE side of baby backs (my first cook) and said that was the best he ever had. My daughter is not a big chicken eater as her university, according to her, feeds them "chicken" all the time. She, and everyone else in the family, says it was awesome last night. Have fun. I know I am and these people on this forum have given me great tips and advice. They are great.

Rick
  • BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Options
    That's a lead off homerun right there. Good job !
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    You are doing real cooking now my friend.

Don't get intimidated by all this. The egg is just another cooking device - that happens to do the best job around.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. Make sure you have plenty of space around. You will need it for your future eggs.

GG
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Excellent looking first timer.
    Congrats and welcome.

Ron
  • Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    Options
    Congratulations!! Welcome to the club... B)