Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mixed Feelings

Options
2»

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Larry Jenkins,
    Thanks. Any tips for getting the bigger bags to seal tighter?? I did 2 batches if Cat's Vaccuum-Turbo-Marinate-Freeze method. The bags are sucked up pretty good, but not totally tight.[p]This is fun.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Larry Jenkins,
    Thanks. Any tips for getting the bigger bags to seal tighter?? I did 2 batches if Cat's Vaccuum-Turbo-Marinate-Freeze method. The bags are sucked up pretty good, but not totally tight.[p]This is fun.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Larry Jenkins,
    Man, I'm screwin' up.
    I meant Cat's Babyback Ribs with the Vaccuum-Turbo-Marinate-Freeze method.[p]Tried to fix but double posted.
    Well, back upstairs to check my lunchtime spare ribs.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,[p]The bags may not totally shrink around the items if there is a lot of surface area the prevents the bag from being sucked to the surface. If, however, you are not getting a full vacuum you can adjust the altitude setting (normally on the bottom of the unit) higher which will result in a longer run time for the vacuum. Generally you don't need to adjust the setting, but it may help.[p]Larry[p]
  • Nature Boy,
    I've been getting my bags at Sam's and you get twice as many bags for about the same price. My unit is a Food Saver Compact 11 and I have space to leave it on the counter and use it frequently. Food keeps much better than by any other
    method I've tried, and stay good considerably longer, plus all the wonderful stuff everyone else says. And vacuum sealing mason jars requires no special expensive equipment.
    Seal on.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Catherine,
    Thanks much! I guess I need to go check out Sam's. I paid 26 bucks at Costco for two 8 inch/20 foot rolls, and two 11 inch/20 foot rolls.[p]Look forward to throwing away less food!
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,
    Ah, sorry, that's about the same price as Sam's. I thought you got one roll of each. If you find a cheaper source, please let me know. Hope you enjoy.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Catherine,
    That's good. Cuz Costco is closer anyway!
    Thanks. I'll keep my feelers out for good deals.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Randman
    Randman Posts: 31
    Options
    Nature Boy, I tend to cook several things on the egg for a couple of days and then not for a couple weeks or so ( work schedule, etc. ). I reheat pulled pork or shredded chicken in the sealed bags directly in not quite boiling water and it keeps the meat from drying up, and the flavor of the meat is almost as good as straight off the egg.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    randman,
    Fortunately, I have lots of cooking time, but I love your idea, and often have leftovers. I am not really happy with microwave reheating, as it seems to make the meat taste funny. Sumthin bout dem little microwaves must restructure the flavor crystals or sumthin (how's that for scientific).[p]Thanks for the great tip.[p]Nature Boy...on a crisp DC mornin'.
    Yesterday 3am it was 61 (a record), this mornin 25 with rich cobalt blue skies. Hope y'all are havin a great weekend.[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com