Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru Overshoot

Options
Eternal Student
Eternal Student Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everyone.

I am attempting to cook my first brisket with the help of the Guru. I have set the pit temp at 220 on the guru, but the probe shows the pit temp at 245 and climbing. Is the guru going to do anything to bring the temp down. I have the damper on the guru closed 3/4 of the way and I have the damper on top of the bge almost all the way closed.

Immediate help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    Not an expert but heres my 2 cents. Look at your door adapter. Make sure that it is centered between your upper a lower slide. If you just slide up the "locking tab" into the track, you leave a small gap. (a gaps a gap). I have closed my viper 10 cmf to between the 3/4 and the closed (Close 1/2 more than current). If your fan is not cycling then and your appatures are at closed or almost closed, then it WILL go down. It just may take a bit. thanks and hope this helps. rc
  • Eternal Student
    Options
    Thanks.

I will go look at it right now for your tips.

Again this is my first time using the guru...but shouldn't the blower be helping in maintaining the temperature? It hasn't kicked in once and I am wondering if it is working.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    If the pit temp is higher than it is set for, no, it won't come on. The Guru can only raise temps, it has no way of lowering them. I'm assuming you have not put your meat in yet, when you do, your pit temp will drop drastically. -RP
  • Unknown
    Options
    It appears that you may not have completely closed the bottom vent against the fan. If not, then the guru is not in charge of the temps.

Please check immediately!!!

Mike Tripp
    (fieroguy)