Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Fire

Options
HTownsmokin
HTownsmokin Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got my first BGE(L) on Saturday afternoon and fired up some ribeyes. Overall, they came out great, with a perfect sear and doneness. Got adventurous last night.

Put two flats on at 10:00 p.m. last night. Watched fire until 1:30, took nap till 3:30 and checked fire, took another nap until 6:20. The fire was a perfect 250 throughout until the 6:20 viewing. It had dropped to about 195. The internal temp is 167.

I raised the lid for the first time at 6:30 since putting them on last night. Thought maybe the fire had gone out or something. It still looked to be burning slightly. I closed the lid and opened the vents all the way. It is smoking a lot, but the temp is slow in getting past 200. After 20 minutes, it's approaching 220 now.

Looking better now and the internal temp has climbed to 170. Took me a while to get logged on correctly and in the meantime the brisket is looking great.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Congrats on your purchase of an egg...you'll grow to love it.

Take pics and post them when your flats are done. Sounds like you have a good cook going.

Welcome to the forum.
  • TheGrillisGone
    Options
    Temp drops that long into burn means air flow is restricted. Usuallly small pieces of lump block the holes in bottom grate. Go up thru bottom vent with a long rod (wiggle stick) and clear blocked holes.

Be sure to post results of brisket.

Happy Memorial Day!

Jim
    Snellville, Ga
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    I think grillisgone nailed it..also as fidel said..take pix!! ;)
  • HTownsmokin
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. It's back to smoking and is stabilized at the 250. Internal temp has gotten up to 176. I'll get some photos on later. Hope the eatin is good.
  • OKCegger
    OKCegger Posts: 38
    Options
    You are going to love your egg! I fired up my XL at 9 pm last night. I had it stable at 225 by 10 pm. Put a 7.5 lb Boston Butt on and checked it at 11pm, still 225. Went to bed, T-storms woke me up at 3:30 (Oklahoma), egg was getting wet so moved it on the patio to dry spot. Temp had droped to 210, opened bottom vent about 1/8" and went back to bed. At 6 am I checked it and it was still on 210, so opened the bottom vent another 1/8" and opened top just a little. By 6:30 it was up to 225 and now at 7:45 it is up to 250. The last half of the cook, I am going to hold it between 250 - 275 until I get the butt internal temp to about 190 -195, another 6 hrs I would guess. Anyway what I am trying to say is that you will get to where you can sleep better while doing an overnight cook. I have only had my egg since December and I don't worry about it as much now. But I still tend to cook a little low overnight ;), all it does is add a little time to the overall cook. :) Congrats on your buy and have fun!

Pat
    OKC