Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch oven choice????

Options
johnrezz
johnrezz Posts: 120
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was thinking of picking up a Dutch oven. They range from 35-150 bucks. So.... What makes one better than the other and which is better cast iron or ceramic?

Any advice would be appreciated

John

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    All of mine are Lodge preseasoned CI Dutch Ovens...I have the 5 & 7 qt...they were about $35 -$45 each at Bass Pro Shop...
  • 02Roush2
    02Roush2 Posts: 119
    Options
    I used mine for the first time this evening. It's a 6 quart preseasoned Lodge Logic. Picked it up on clearance earlier this year at Wally World.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    The Lodge 4.5qt DO is $25 @ costco, I just picked one up the other day.
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    Picked up a 8qt preseasoned from Academy sports for $24
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    Options
    Le Crueset makes the porcelain coated cast iron. It is wonderful for cooking IN THE KITCHEN, but not on your BGE. It's rated as oven safe to ~450 degrees. Since it is incredibly expensive keep it for the stovetop or oven. Used in this manner, it is another pass down from generation to generation type of cookware.

Stick with Lodge for the egg. I find the preseasoned to be easy to maintain.
  • 02Roush2
    02Roush2 Posts: 119
    Options
    After using my DO for the first time tonight I noticed that the care instructions say to lightly oil the interal AND external portions of the DO prior to putting it up. So I did. Does anyone else do this? Seems like a PITB to oil the outside of the DO and then put it up all oily.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    John,

A lot of choices. Ceramic will clean easier and does not have to be seasoned. Ceramic does not have the commonly believed problem with tomato based cooks. I use tomato based food all the time in my CI DO and it hasn't bothered my seasoning.

I use both ceramic cast iron and cast iron. In the egg it really doesn't matter which brand, other than I wouldn't use aluminum based DO's.

I like ceramic cast iron as it is easier to clean after using it.

For the egg I would get one that has a flat bottom. If you are going to use the DO out camping then I would get lets and it is extremely important to get a DO that has a good, flat match to the lid.

In a egg don't use the lid or you may as sell put the DO in the over. Using the lid is like taking a shower with a rain coat on. The egg add absolutely no benifit other than a way to apply heat. With out the lid you get the best of both worlds. Dutch Oven Egged food is fantastic.

Walmart has some great deals on both CI and Ceramic, I picked up two large ceramic dutch ovens for under $29 each.

Good cookin. GG
  • Unknown
    Options
    I have the lodge, Le Cruset and an old Magnalight 8 qt. I like the Magnalight the best because it is heavy cast aluminum but not nearly as heavy as the other 2. For grilling, I will use the lodge. The magnalight is great for roasting oysters.

Robert
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    DSCN2459.jpg
    John,
    I have a 9qt. Lodge and love it.
    Ross
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    It depends on what I'm cooking. Chili,gunbo a cheap Wal Mart cast is my pic.
    NEW08004-2.jpg
    FIRSTMARCHFOOD048.jpg

For breads/ finer cooking and as mentioned staining cooks Le Creuset all the way. Works great in the Egg. I snag used on Ebay and love it. Gives a much better even crust than standard iron.
    LastwkFEB08075.jpg
    NEW08111.jpg

The handles are not rated high temp which I took care of threw my ridding partner weilding me up some S.S ones.
    LastwkFEB08019.jpg