Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping Green Egg Going Overnight

Smokin-AJ's
Smokin-AJ's Posts: 99
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am playing around with my new LG bge. Tonight.. I loaded up the egg with lump charcoal. started the charcoal using the electric starter for about 5 minutes. Closed the dome down and right now the temp is right around 300.. I just want to see if it will last all night long. I don't have any meat on it. Just playing with it... I have have the bottom damper open about 1/2 inch open.. Maybe shy of 3/4 inch open. Top damper is open half way on the smaller damper.

Should the egg stay going all night with these settings... Tell me what you do to keep your egg going all night around 250 to 300. I figure is I can see this thing go all night long without any meat on it, it should go all night with meat on it.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    If you do not have any meat to throw on it now, shut it down and get some meat on it tomorrow. Don't waste good lump when the rest of us know it works. Happy Holidays.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Bottom open 1/8 inch top wheel closed & petals half open will usually hold 250 dome for me
  • Smokin-AJ's
    Richard,

Thanks for your comment. However, I have read through this forum and found where several people who have had their fire go out on them from an over night cook. So I am just trying to see what others have done sucessfully to avoid their fire from going out. Just looking for damp adjustments is really what I am after.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    It varies. Could have some lump get into the air holes and clog it. Might have a windy evening and extra air get into bottom and burn charcoal to fast . There are a few mechanical toys that help solve the potential problem. Hope this helps.

Happy and safe weekend. Hope you have enough adult beverage to stay up all night and see what happens. hehe
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews.htm
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    You're doing what all new Egg owners should do... get used to controlling the temperature. Of course you could have cooked something in the meantime but the point was to learn... Enjoying the results of what you learned will come in time.

Spring "Applying What You Learned Is Proof That You Learned" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Yeah, he could throw some spares on just as easily and watch the temp for a few hours. Personally, I'm not at the point of trusting the Egg for more than 2-3 hours without a look and a tweak.
  • Smokin-AJ's
    well it's about 15 after 10pm and I checked it one last time. Right on 300 and was like that about an hour ago. I am inside now. I do plan to cook a rack of BB and some racks of spares tommorrow so if the cooker holds well throughout tonight then, it should perform well with the ribs tommorrow. I am familiar with the GURU because I have used one with my other cooker.. I need to get the damper adapter for the BGE but I wanted to wait first and play with the cooker before I depend on the GURU. Thanks guys, keep your post coming. Again, let me know how you fix your dampers for select temps.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    I agree, a person should monitor overnight cooks every 3 or 4 hours. It is so dissapointing when something happens and you have to chuck your butt.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    was to do the same as Flo Rida. My dealer suggested I "play around with temperature control" so I did and it was worth the effort. Today, ten years later, I have NO PROBLEM loading my Egg (Elder Ward style) and sleeping soundly usually from 11PM to 6 or 6:30AM.

Temperature control is sort of second nature today.
  • Smokin-AJ's
    It actually did well. I woke up around 7 and it was right around 200/215 so I was pleased with it. I went onto stir the coals and add more lump to get it on back up to 250. It stayed there most of the morning when I cooked BB. They turned out great.