Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plateau Question

Options
02Roush2
02Roush2 Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had an 8 Lb Picnic on for just over 5 hrs and the internal temp has climbed to 180*. So far no plateau. Have any of you had this happen before? Do some plateau's happen at higher temps? Dome temp has been 250-270. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Comments

• 02Roush2
    Options
    Well, not looking good. Internal temp is up to 190* after just over 6 hrs. It appears no plateau will occur and I can only imagine the pork just won't be all that good......
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Don't worry about it. A picnic doesn't have as much internal fat as a butt so not as much to convert, so a shorter (in general) plateau. They will plateau, but sometimes not for long.

I think you'll be surprised at how good it turns out.
  • 02Roush2
    Options
    Thanks Rod. I appreciate the input. I just took it off at 199* after 8 hrs. Wrapped and in the cooler and hopefully ready for dinner this evening. Think I'll head up to Statham for the mini GTG up that way! Thanks again!

Rusty
  • 02Roush2
    Options
    Hey Rod - how right you were! I let the pork rest for almost 4 hrs before pulling it for dinner tonight and man was it good! I was amazed at how much meat I pulled off of that thing. Turned out excellent.