Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

9:09 PM

Dirty1Dirty1 Posts: 42
edited 8:56PM in EggHead Forum
I have had the LBGE for only a couple weeks and extending my learinings beyond Baby Backs. And by reading the forum I am not the first to try a pork butt for the first time this weekend. At 9:09 I put it on. Rub, some mustard and brown sugar was the recipe. I have it hanging at 230. Plan on monitoring for a while to make sure it hangs in the 220-250 range. I am glad I went out and bought a galvanized vent cap as we are finally getting some summer like weather here in Orlando. I will post as I go, and hopefully not for emergency advice. Happy Memorial Day everyone, be Safe.
·

Comments

• AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Good luck with it, I'm putting a couple 8 lb ones on in a little bit. I would suggest you keep it closer to 250 dome temp, its the biggest mistake newbies make, dome temp can easily be 40 degrees higher than the grid temp. -RP
    ·
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I agree with AZRP, get that up to 250 or you will be asking in the morning if it is safe to eat.
    Mike
    ·
  • Dirty1Dirty1 Posts: 42
    Good Tip, thanks! Will do.
    ·
    Your comments definately bring me to another question. I bought a therometer at target to get me thru the cook. Just a meat probe. However I am looking for a good recommendation for one with a grid clip/probe as well. I have read the pros and cons of other threads with the maverick product. I am ready to pull the trigger on a good instrument just not sure of what and where to purchase. Any tips are appreciated.
    Regards,
    Dirty 1.
    ·
  • BrocBroc Posts: 1,398
    I'm not the one to answer your question -- If you don't get a response by morning, start a new thread with that question...

~ Best --

~ Broc
    ·
    Butt is at 181, will post pics when done. Hopefully in an a couple hours or less. I am dying to peak at it but have not in 13.5 hours so I am trying to maintain my composure.
    ·