Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

overnite gone bad

Options
dougemsmacks
dougemsmacks Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know it's early but I just woke up and checked on my first overnite cook. my fire went out. I was at 240 @ 11:00 now it is 110 Is my pork still good please help

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Sound like trash to me :( What was/is the internal temp?How long was it on at 240* before you went to bed?I'm just curious.Either way,I would chunk it.It takes a long time for the egg to drop to 110*.
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    I fired it up @9:30 so I would say about an hour daisy was 3/4 open and the bottom was 1/4" I posted my question before my first cup of coffee I have already decided to scrap the pork and go for ribs here in a couple of min. In the end I figured if I have to question it then I shouldn't take a chance, food safety is nothing to mess with. I also might have a problem getting everyone over here for future parties if I made them all sick, :sick:
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    I hear ya man,good luck with the ribs ;)
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Yes, the 40 - 140 rule has been violated. Sorry.
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    I have not done a lot of smoking but I think I have heard that before I just don't know what the exact rule is help!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Same thing happened to me last night. Had to toss two butts. After the sun came up and I stopped kicking myself, I quickly got on the web and ordered the Guru. I hope never to have that problem again.
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    I have heard the 40-140 part just not the time frame if there is any.
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    ;) Look down a couple of posts,someone posted a link that you should read.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    Did you determine why your fire didn't last all night?
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Food is safe below 40 degrees and above 140 degrees for about four hours. In between these temperatures is the caution/unsafe area, from what I have understood.
  • BlueHorseShoe
    Options
    I would look into why your fire went out.

I always clean the egg out before an all nighter. There is nothing worse than waking up to cold butt! I also sort my charcoal into size, putting the largest pieces in first, medium second, smallest last. Used charcoal goes on top. This allows for optimal air circulation and prevents the largest coals from burning out first.

The wind can play havoc on your temp at night while you dream.

My first butt was almost lost when my fire burned out. When I woke up and checked the pitt the fire was gone. However, the meat was at 160, so I saved it. I lost my fire because my
    temp probe was reading 50 degrees low! And I did not put enough charcoal in the egg.

Good luck and happy egging!
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    Food is considered safe BETWEEN 40 and 140 for 4 hours. Your clock starts the minute the temp reaches either point. Some type foods are more susceptable to contamination than others, acidity of the food can change things, but, if you follow the 4 hour rule you will be staying within the SERVSAFE guidelines. Try this site for more info: www.servsafe.com thanks rc