Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

9:09 PM

Dirty1
Dirty1 Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had the LBGE for only a couple weeks and extending my learinings beyond Baby Backs. And by reading the forum I am not the first to try a pork butt for the first time this weekend. At 9:09 I put it on. Rub, some mustard and brown sugar was the recipe. I have it hanging at 230. Plan on monitoring for a while to make sure it hangs in the 220-250 range. I am glad I went out and bought a galvanized vent cap as we are finally getting some summer like weather here in Orlando. I will post as I go, and hopefully not for emergency advice. Happy Memorial Day everyone, be Safe.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Good luck with it, I'm putting a couple 8 lb ones on in a little bit. I would suggest you keep it closer to 250 dome temp, its the biggest mistake newbies make, dome temp can easily be 40 degrees higher than the grid temp. -RP
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I agree with AZRP, get that up to 250 or you will be asking in the morning if it is safe to eat.
    Mike
  • Dirty1
    Good Tip, thanks! Will do.
  • Dirty1
    Your comments definately bring me to another question. I bought a therometer at target to get me thru the cook. Just a meat probe. However I am looking for a good recommendation for one with a grid clip/probe as well. I have read the pros and cons of other threads with the maverick product. I am ready to pull the trigger on a good instrument just not sure of what and where to purchase. Any tips are appreciated.
    Regards,
    Dirty 1.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    I'm not the one to answer your question -- If you don't get a response by morning, start a new thread with that question...

~ Best --

~ Broc
  • Dirty1
    Butt is at 181, will post pics when done. Hopefully in an a couple hours or less. I am dying to peak at it but have not in 13.5 hours so I am trying to maintain my composure.