Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt Gasket and Black Ooze

Options
pplkook
pplkook Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All

New to the egg, have had half a dozen cooks so far. I did a T-Rex NY Strip last night (AWESOME), but I continued to cook my gasket.

Here is what I did. Loaded the firebox with lump. Got it going with the firestarter, closed the lid. Bottom and Top are wide open. Temp in the dome got up to 650ish, and then I smell that burning smell. Pull open the lid, and it is oozing black crap all over my beautiful new egg! Continued with the cook, steaks were awesome.

I took some pics -

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm102/pplkook/

What do you think the problem is? Is it out of alignment? Anyone know if I should worry about the black ooze - or is there any way to remove/sand it off?

I think I am going to do a Rutland - fiberglass doesn't scare me, I have probably ingested more when I make my surfboards than what will get on the food. Are the directions on the Naked Whiz site up to date? I searched the forum, and there were some posts from 2004 where people were complaining about the adhesive.

Doing some babybacks and ABTs tomorrow!

Thanks

pplkook

Comments