Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs - I know they exist.

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have never read anything about beef ribs on the forum.[p]Any BGE'ers ever make them?

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    beef2.jpg
    <p />CptQueeg,[p]My website has a little about them and some pictures. They are not a big favorite of mine though. They need longggg cooking times to get the grease out and to tender them up. They are a little greasy and tough - IE: that's way the long slow cook. 5-7 hours at 250-275 indirect should get you close, maybe less if they are already cut up.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's place[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    BeefRibs06_12_0014_20_01_small.jpg
    <p />CptQueeg, I'm in total agreement with Tim - for the time cooked, they are just 'OK' - much prefer BabyBacks! :~}[p]Check out the link for time, etc.

[ul][li]Beef Ribs[/ul]
  • Bill in VA
    Bill in VA Posts: 29
    CptQueeg,[p]Funny you should ask, I just cooked some the night before last with good results. [p]They were "shorts", that is already cut up into short individual pieces. Sprinkled on a basic rub and cooked them for about 2.5 hours at 275. Use a drip pan- a lot of grease. I would have liked to cooked them longer, to rend of more of the fat, but they were done and I dared not cook them longer in fear of making them tough.[p]These beef ribs were real fatty but what meat there was on them were absolutely delicious.[p]Hope this helps.[p]Bill
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Bill in VA,
    We do them all the time. Don't be afraid to extend the cook. If you leave 4 or 5 ribs joined together like in the posted photos, cook them to an internal temp of 195+/-. Most of the fat will be gone and the sweet taste of that beef comes out in force. We find that at 250 the ribs are done in 5-6 hours.
    Have fun,
    Marvin

• Bill in VA
    Marvin,
    Thanks for the comment. A friend brought them over and said " You cook em, we'll eat em!" I said "Sure!". But I sure didn't want to ruin his meat. I played it safe, but maybe I'll cook them longer next time. [p]Oh, I just picked up a nice remote thermometer for $19 that will sure come in handy.[p]Bill

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Bill in VA, remote for $19??? - tell us more!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bill in VA
    It's made by Pyrex. Rated at 400ºF. Has an on-off switch, countdown timer and an "at Temperature" alarm. It displays actual temperature and the set point temperature. It can also switch between Cº & Fº.[p]I bought it at 'Bed Bath & Beyond'. It was $19.99.[p]If you want, I'll try to post a picture later this evening.[p]Bill[p]
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Bill in VA,
    I just looked it up on their website. What you have is a standard polder thermometer. A remote thermometer sends a wireless signal to a receiver. The best price I've seen for them is in the 40. range.
    Regards,
    Marvin

• Bill in VA
    Sorry about the confusion. You are correct. This is not a transmitter/transceiver type.

The sensor is "remote" in the sense that it is in a different location than the device, but still connected with wire.[p]Bill