Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picnic roast started

Options
NooBBQ
NooBBQ Posts: 134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well as promised, I put the picnic roast on tonight 11:30 MT, and after the temp stabilizies, I am going to call it a night. Will be my first cook past 6 hrs, and first overnighter, so I am excited.

Will post pics of the result.

nooBBQ,

Comments

• Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    How is it going this morning? I thought about getting a DigiQ2 but I get excited also and am up checking on the cook during the night. HAVE FUN!!!! :)
  • NooBBQ
    Options
    First report, I am ahead of the curve, but I think(hope) I will be fine.

300529001_SCGfk-L.jpg
  • NooBBQ
    Options
    Looking good so far
    300572332_Lh8xk-L.jpg
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Man,that's cool!!! I need to get one of those!
  • NooBBQ
    Options
    At 3:30 (Mountain) meat was at 190, dome at 224.
    300652910_DBTso-L.jpg

I am going to kick the egg up a little bit, and pull the meat off the grill at 5PM my times, rest 2 hrs, and pulled pork sandwiches later tonight (guests at 7PM).

I was somewhat concerned, doing all this by hand (i.e. was tempted to justify a DigiQ) but so far it seems to hold extremely well.

nooBBQ,

p.s. the graphs are done in excel, by transposing my manual recordings. The first graph was annotated with photoshop. I am a believer in recording and measuring what you do, how else are you going to be able to change and learn. [especially since this is my first overnight]
  • NooBBQ
    Options
    Well afer my last post I did kick it up a little and all of a sudden things started moving fast.

So at 4:19PM I pulled it with an internal of 198. That is after 16h49min.

300676073_pVYSm-L.jpg

300676844_F9PfQ-L.jpg

I wrapped them in aluminum foild and some towels and put them in a cooler, but very much looking forward to getting into them.

I am surprised at the volume of lump charcoal left after 16 hrs.
    300675741_LyC7Z-L.jpg

nooBBQ,