Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4:22 am Butt Report

Options
Smokin' Jacket
Smokin' Jacket Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just up checking on 30lbs. of Boston butt....see link below for 11:00 pm. worries..thanks AZRP for your earlier help.

At 4:20 this a.m., butts (4) are about 170 to 172 degrees internal temp. After earlier concerns about not enough heat, (I have adjusted dome thermometer so that it is longer touching the butt when I close the dome)the dome temp is just below 300.

I am now heading back to bed...it was a long day Friday...my oldest daughter graduated from high school. Be back up around 7:00 a.m. to check the butts.

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Get yourself a wine bottle cork and slide that on your dome thermometer and you'll never have another problem again.
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    I don't understand what you would do with a wine cork?? :blink:
  • Bevo
    Bevo Posts: 179
    Options
    I took a champagne cork and cut it in half, reserving the thick portion not the part that goes into the neck of the bottle. Then I removed the dome thermometer and inserted it through the thick portion of the champagne cork. I re-inserted the dome thermometer into the BGE and the probe is high enough that it does not touch the food, even if I am using my extended grate.

I'm not a wine drinker, but I have seen some wine bottles that come with a synthetic, plastic "cork". Don't use one of these; use only real cork.