Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kitchen Scales

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ok wife went and bought a salter kitchen scale.. has anyone had any experience with them? it was a pretty cheap price for this one http://www.salterhousewares.com/tpages/products/npopup.asp?model=44

we got it at ross for $14 so no big deal if it doesn't last till christmas.. so for any of you that have a ross near you look for it

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I've bought 2 Salter scales. 1 broke after 6 months or so, the other has been going strong for 4 or 5 years. I just replaced the Salter with an Oxo because it had big numbers, a lovely blue backlight, and the display actually pulls away from the scale about 6 inches on a wire if you need to weigh something big (like a bag of charcoal?)
    The Naked Whiz
  • BENTE
    Options
    well that is go to know that one of them made it years. i will try to figure out how often i will use it.. looking for bread recepies with weight to give one of them a shot ;)

thanks for the info

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    We bought the same scale, with a plastic top instead of the stainless, 3 1/2 years ago. It has seen service 5 or 6 days a week since, and has only needed one battery replacement. Oh, and we paid $28 to $30 for ours.

HTH
    Ken
  • BENTE
    Options
    thanks bluesmoke ;)

you have made my day i guess now it is time to open a bottle of bourbon :evil:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Judge
    Judge Posts: 35
    Options
    You can now weigh the bourbon before consumption and after! See how much evaporated ;)
  • BENTE
    Options
    lol ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• ShortRIb
    ShortRIb Posts: 88
    Options
    I have had a hard time finding a scale that I would find useful. For example, let's say I am making some sausage. First, I would like to weigh the amount of pork needed. However, all butts (except Costco) have a bone in them. So I need it to weigh large weights of up to 10 lbs. Then, when I do my seasoning for said sausage, I find that most recipes ask for the amount of seasoning to be used in grams. So I need something that can also be seen in tenths of grams as well as 16 oz for larger items.

If anyone knows of a scale that good for both of these, please mention it. The only thing I can think of is a science scale or a pharmaceutical scale?????
  • Judge
    Judge Posts: 35
    Options
    ShortRIb wrote:
    I have had a hard time finding a scale that I would find useful. For example, let's say I am making some sausage. First, I would like to weigh the amount of pork needed. However, all butts (except Costco) have a bone in them. So I need it to weigh large weights of up to 10 lbs. Then, when I do my seasoning for said sausage, I find that most recipes ask for the amount of seasoning to be used in grams. So I need something that can also be seen in tenths of grams as well as 16 oz for larger items.

If anyone knows of a scale that good for both of these, please mention it. The only thing I can think of is a science scale or a pharmaceutical scale?????

I am using an amazing scale which is deadly accurate. More accurate than needed actually. It really is all the ad says and more. I can weigh seasoning with it 1g is no problem 28g to the oz. does 6kilo which is over 12lbs. touch button to change scales. Comes with ac adapter and is very easy to read. I have had it for over a year now and it is used daily. The unit is very easy to clean because of its design.

http://canadianweigh.com/scales/uber-deluxe-6000
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I bought a 22 lb Salter dial scale for sausage at Sportsmans Wharehouse. Cabelas has a 44 lb one for $40. -RP