Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3-2-1

Options
Judge
Judge Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Would like some feed back please.

I purchased some ribs from Costco. Large plump side ribs (needed to rack them they filled egg). I had frozen them for a week. After thawing, I sprayed with apple juice, applied rub (stood for 1 hour). I cooked them on my LGE at 225 (used a didgiQ). Every hour sprayed with apple juice. After 3 they where pulling back from the bone. Rapped them in foil with apple juice to steam ( I want them fall off the bone). After 2 hours removed from foil (they where falling off the bone). Put back for 30 mins. Put sauce, then cooked 30 mins more.

Here is the thing. They are dry. Very dry. They look moist, they fall off the bone. Yet so dry they suck the moisture out of your mouth. Clearly over cooked yet where along the line?

Please would love feedback. Thanks

Judge

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I am of the understanding that "falling off the bone" is an indicaiton of an overcooked rib. Evidently you want to have to gently pull the meat away from the bone while you eat it.

Ron
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Something doesn't add up. Spares at 225* for 3 hours should not be anywhere near pulling back from the bone yet.

Maybe your Digi needs to be calibrated (it is easy to do). What did your dome thermo read? Where was the Digi pit probe clipped for temp monitoring?

I agree they were overdone, but it seems to me your temps were too high the entire cook.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Judge,

I thought "falling off the bone" was a Canadian term for ribs and it came from the days when we didn't know anything about BBQ and cooked them in liquid.
    As Fidel said at 225* there is no way sides should be overcooked, even backs at that temp.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    I would say from the foil stage
  • Judge
    Options
    I clipped the probe to themetal rack, and I will need to check it's temperature. The dome was reading about 325 I just figured that it was because of the difference in temperature from the rack to the dome. The foil and apple juice does boil/steam them to make them fall off the bone. An interesting that you say they should not be pulling back off the bone after 3 hours. Thanks for that information. Edit. Oh and I used a plate setter with a pan on it. An also that comment about in the foil?? That time in liquid? That would do that? I will check that probe I have the instructions for calibration. I have never checked it
  • Judge
    Options
    Probe tests: Grill ice 32 F Boiling water 212 F
    Food Prob ice 38 F Boiling water 212 F

Maybe I just got unlucky and had my probe sitting in a cold spot?
  • Fidel
    Options
    Might be the pit probe was too close to the cold meat or something.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I had some similar experience and am going to use this modification this week. It is called the U test and to do it you pick up the rack in the middle. If the sides droop straight down forming a U they are done and the collagen is broke down, if not cook longer. I think I may have undercooked my ribs not allowing the collagen to break down and moisturize the ribs. I am not sure if this will correct it but am looking for some sure fired way to tell when they are done.

I would appreciate an insight about my theory!
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I've tried ribs a few times and wasn't exactly pleased with the results (even using Uncle Phil's recipe). I believe they were cooked OK but lacked the depth of flavor that had you drooling for more after the first bite. The rub, honey or sugar, apple juice/cider produced a great visual, but inside, the taste was bland. Perhaps it has something to do with the "new" pork that is virtually void of the fat necessary for flavor? If so, how sad it is that so few have influenced the choices of so many (butt, ain't that becoming the Amerikan way?). !@&^%$#&^%#!$
  • ChitownBBQ
    ChitownBBQ Posts: 72
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    Something doesn't add up. Spares at 225* for 3 hours should not be anywhere near pulling back from the bone yet.

Agreed, but re-reading the original post, it never says they are 'spare' ribs.

3 hours should not pull spares from the edges. KCs or SLs will pull back in 3 hours and baby backs are (nearly) done.

I've had 6-hour spares fall off the bone and eat like bits of pork-flavored jell-o - not dry at all.

Baby backs are leaner and, therefor, easier to make dry. I'm not a fan of 'watering' meat as it cooks (adding water-based liquids) since, in effect, you are washing off oil - and water evaporates. Ever had the fire/coals flare up when you spray/mop? It isn't the apple juice flaring up, its the oil you washed off with the juice.

Your mileage may vary.

My guess: Back ribs or very lean KCs or SLs.

Of course, I'm wrong often and have no problem with that.

B)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Try starting your ribs at 200 dome. You are going to get a better smoke ring and flavor. The rub and finishing sauce make a huge difference.

Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I think after the foiling, the next hour did your ribs in. Personally, I wouldn't worry when the meat pulls back from the bone. Just adjust your times and temps accordingly.
    1210spares1.jpg

Mike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    if you can find a country rib roast, the stuff they cut true country ribs out of, you might like them better. when you cut the small loin section off you can leave some of the fat with the rib meat and it makes for a tastier product. ive done some fattier chinese style ribs with that section and you do want more when your done. also get the ingrediants for cats ribs, thats a great recipe, no need for sauce with those
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Judge
    Options
    First off.

Thank you all for the responses.

Next the package said side ribs. They where very meaty not very fatty as ribs go. An I think you are all right to a more or less degree. I will try playing with each of the suggestions. The first one being the last, removing after the foil not putting them back on. Then the dome temp and so on. I might do both at same time.

An here I was thinking ribs would be simple. The comments about pulling (shrinking to show more bone) to early is very interesting and this has very big possibilities Maybe I just plain overcooked them without letting them to convert as one person stated.

Again thanks all
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=165082&catid=1
    this was the loin and rib section from a country loin, very tasty
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    These are spares, did they look anything like these?

Mike
  • Grillin Guy
    Grillin Guy Posts: 302
    Options
    I tried the 3-1-1 method and liked it very much. They were not fall off the bone ribs, but that's not what I was looking for. I like a little pull to mine. Anyway...I digress...A few months ago, I did ribs for a party and did them ahead of time. When they came off the grill, they were perfect, just the way I like them. Since I had to travel with them, I wrapped them in HDAF and then wrapped them in a couple of towels and placed them in my ice chest. They were in there for probably another hour and a half before they were served. To my dismay, they were literally falling off the bone, but they were NOT dry at all. Perhaps that might work for you. I just don't like my ribs mushy.

Terry
    Gulfport, MS
  • Judge
    Options
    carwash mike wrote:

Mike
    much longer and not as wide about 6" wide
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I'm really confused on what you got. Baby backs are narrower, but shorter. How much were they and was there a Procesors name on them? Hormel, Berkshire, IBP? I think you used the right process but maybe on the wrong ribs for what you want.

Mike
  • Judge
    Options
    carwash mike wrote:

Mike

Here are some shots of them titled Costco ribs 3 photo's

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm259/judge34411/

in the last photo you can see what the package says side ribs very meaty not much fat
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    They are either spare or St. Louis style (timmed spares) cut in half. Maybe your thermoter was touching the ribs, giving off a bad dome temp.
    St. Louis is my guess.

Mike
  • ChitownBBQ
    ChitownBBQ Posts: 72
    Options
    Not babies and not full spares. SLs or KCs. Never heard of 'side ribs' but they do look nice. At $4.00/lb, they have to be trimmed. Spares aren't that much and backs aren't that cheap even at Cosco (most of the time, anyway).

The local Jewel had a buy-1-get-1-free rib sale last week - they wife cleaned 'em out of baby backs.
  • Judge
    Options
    ChitownBBQ wrote:
    Not babies and not full spares. SLs or KCs. Never heard of 'side ribs' but they do look nice. At $4.00/lb, they have to be trimmed. Spares aren't that much and backs aren't that cheap even at Cosco (most of the time, anyway).

The local Jewel had a buy-1-get-1-free rib sale last week - they wife cleaned 'em out of baby backs.
    Just for your information that is in kilograms not lbs. So that is 2.24x4 or 8.96lbs live in Canada here but its good to have an idea what they are. Seams in this area in Canada they just call them side ribs or baby back. Our spare ribs are just little chopped up pieces.

just took a good look at that photo they were actually 5.29 a kilo and it was a total of 4 kilo for the total price you see at bottom
  • Fidel
    Options
    For the record, St. Louis style is just a way of trimming spare ribs. He said "side" ribs in his post, which indicated to me they are spares.

At 225 dome temp I would doubt any cut of ribs would be done, but then again, stranger things happen.
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    I have experimented a lot with rib cooking methods, with most of my best advice coming from Car Wash Mike--who I claim as my rib cooking mentor. I really think you'll find that the results are pretty consistant once you settle on a method which works best for you. Also, everyone has a different preference in ribs, and it's hard to evaluate all the advice you get from everyone. My personal opinion is that your foiling for 2 hours was one hour too much. Keep on working with it, you'll get it just like you like it.