Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Ribs

Jim R.
Jim R. Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
dsc00666-a.jpg
<p />Haven't had much time for the "Egg" as Wife still in Hospital(since Good Friday)but Food Lion has baby backs for $2.99 and decided its time.Thanks to Mickey T's Rings and Kens Gilded Splinter and Big Chief Sauce.Yum!!Did them direct on raised grid with #1 ring for four hours flipping every 45 minutes.Lot's of fun!!

Comments

• PRobinson
    PRobinson Posts: 74
    Jim R,[p]How wide was the bottom vent with #1 ring? What temperature did you reach? Thanks.
  • Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Jim R,
    first let me say i hope that your wife gets well and out of the hospital very soon! now let me say that i think if you gave her some of those fantastic looking ribs she would recover even quicker!!! looks fantastic!!!

• Jim R.
    Jim R. Posts: 103
    PRobinson,
    Left the bottom vent wide open and it held at 220 until the sauce and then closed it 3/4 shut as the sauce dripped and fire picked up.Must say without any prepartion other then a quick rub and a slather of mustard and into the fire they were excellent.

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Jim R,[p]
    When a picture makes you hungry for ribs after you have just finished breakfast, you've done a great job.[p]Great picture. Glad those rings are working for you.[p]I hope of a quick recovery for your wife.[p]Mick

• Colin
    Colin Posts: 4
    Jim R,
    Those ribs look great! I'm sorry that I didn't see your original post... I have no idea what "rings" you're describing. If they turn out ribs like that, I'm on my way to get some!
    Colin

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Jim R,[p]Please explain raised grid and #1 ring?[p]What was dome temp?[p]thx[p]bob

• LasVegasMac
    LasVegasMac Posts: 183
    Jim R,
    I sure hope your wife is on the mend - God speed.[p]As the old saying goes, " a picture is worth a thousand words!"[p]I'll beee back when I cleean theee drool off thee keeyboarrrd.[p]LVM

• LasVegasMac
    Bob,
    "raised grid" - as simple as it sounds. I purchased two circular grates (K-mart, 18" - $8) for my large. Various ways to "raise" them above the grate that came with your BGE. Some folks use fire bricks - may have seen reference to the U shape - |_| - the verticle lines represent the firebrick, usually on it's side. The horizontal line represents the grate that came with the BGE. You simply put another grate on top of the supporting firebricks. Several reasons for doing so - farther from heat source, room to put a drip pan, pizza stone - for indirect, etc. I have seen pictures of some setups that had bolts/nuts providing the spacing. I have chosen the high tech approach - 1) one large ball peen hammer, 2) one stepping stone (a brave volunteer). Whack. The pieces provide the spacing. I have had food on all three levels several times but usually the bottom grid has a pizza stone / drip pan on it and I just use the top two levels.[p]The "rings" - most excellent invention by MickyT (posted to this thread but may not have seen your question) - set of 11 wooden disks numbered #1 through #11 - with holes drilled dead center that get bigger with the number. They replace the Daisey Wheel / top vent. The cost is $50 - and I think they were well worth every penny - preceise control over temp - takes a bit to get used to but worth the effort.[p]Sorry for the novel - hope this helps.[p]LVM

• LasVegasMac
    Colin,
    The "rings" are described in above post to Bob.[p]LVM