Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recipe for Beets

Chef Charles
Chef Charles Posts: 871
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw a Jamie Oliver show last weekend and he was grilling up some beets over charcoal. It got me thinking about cooking some beets up on the egg. Does anyone have a recipe to share?

Thanks

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Happy Memorial Day!

Beets, Balsamic Glazed, & Sweet Potatoes W/Pineapple, GirlyEgg

I combined several recipes and added a couple of my own ideas and came up with this recipe! It’s a great healthy side to turkey and pork! Even if your memories of beets are those canned or pickled versions and your lip furls at the thought… Try these! I promise you’ll be pleasantly surprised… not to mention a adding a great source of calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, vitamin C, thiamin, riboflavin, vitamin A and vitamin K. Now that’s healthy!*******Here's my recipe with a few variations at the end! Enjoy! (sorry for the long post!)

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    3 Tbs (packed) golden brown sugar
    1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
    1 tsp coarse kosher salt
    2 large red-skinned sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 inch pieces
    3 whole beets (fresh), peeled, cut into 1 inch pieces
    1/2 Fresh Pineapple, cored and cut into 1 inch pieces

Procedure:
    BGE Set-up:
    1 Preheat BGE to 350°F.
    2 Indirect - Inverted Platesetter (legs up) with grill top
    3 Roasting Pan
    Directions:
    1 In large skillet over medium heat, bring balsamic vinegar and brown sugar to boil, stirring until the brown sugar dissolves.
    2 Reduce heat and simmer until vinegar thickens slightly, about 3 minutes.
    3 Add butter and salt and stir until butter melts.
    4 Add beets, sweet potatoes and pineapple to skillet; toss to coat.
    5 Transfer all of mixture into roasting pan.
    6 Place roasting pan on BGE grill and roast for 45 minutes, stirring once or twice to “baste” the mix with the glaze.
    7 Raise BGE temp to 450°F, and roast an additional 15 minutes or until beets are “tender” (but not mushy).
    8 Transfer to large platter or bowl and serve.
    Tips & Variations:
    1 This recipe is great with any root vegetable (sweet potatoes, parsnips, beets, etc.) or fall “squash” (acorn, pumpkin, butternut). The key is to make sure all of the “pieces” are cut to the same size to ensure a more even cooking time for the mixture. Bigger pieces will take longer to cook than smaller ones! (Mom taught me that one!)
    2 Root vegetables, especially beets are fairly dense and take a long time to cook! Therefore, if you’re in a hurry, you can parboil the vegetables (not the pineapple) in the microwave or on the stove-top (don’t’ forget to save the healthy “broth” for other uses!) prior to adding to the balsamic mixture…
    3 The following are variations that I’ve tried and have friends convinced that it’s a different recipe each time!
    A: Variation:
    1 Reduce the amount of brown sugar to 1 ½ tablespoons, and add 2 tablespoons of Captain Morgan’s Rum! The glaze will not get as thick in the skillet, but will glaze nicely in the roasting pan on the egg!
    B: Variation:
    1 Instead of pineapple, try adding a ½ tablespoon more of brown sugar and about 1 cup of fresh cranberries. The cranberries will “burst” and produce a nice sweet/tangy taste with the veggies! This is the way I do it when I do this recipe with only sweet potatoes…. The red and the orange colors are spectacular!
    C: Variation:
    1 Top off the dish for serving with some toasted pecans!
    D: Variation:
    1 To serve it in a salad, omit the butter from the glaze (it will congeal), and roast as usual. Let it cool and then serve over a bed of arugula, and sprinkle the top with gorgonzola, feta or any other salty cheese…. And don’t forget those toasted pecans!

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Egg of GirlyEgg (a.k.a. Lynn Joseph)

Source: BGE Eggtoberfest '07, GirlyEgg
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    I routinely roast beets: wash and dry them, trim the top and root; oil lightly. Wrap in foil and roast at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. Unwrap and slip the skins under running water.

At this point, though I've never tried it, it should be possible and delicious to slice the beets into half-inch slices and grill until you've put on some nice grill marks.

Ken