Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Time Salmon Help

vidalia1
vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am not big on eating fish.....I love to fish but not to eat them...however...my wife wants me to try cooking Salmon on Alder planks on my BGE...

I am going to soak the alder plank for about 2 hours...and marinade the salmon (skinless) in a soy, balsamic, ginger marinade for about 2 hours....

my questions are :
since it is skinless how exactly should I cook it?
Direct or indirect?
how long and at what temp?
should I baste it while it is cooking?
do I use parchment paper or just put EVOO on the plank?

Inquiring minds want to know....

at least I will have the planked sweet mashed potatoes as a side dish and checkers burgers is 5 minutes from my house... :woohoo:

Comments

• kim, since its skinless, i think i'd be tempted to skip the plank. ... .here's what i'd do if i were you. ..

set you're egg up direct at 425 degrees (throw a couple of chunks of wood in there if you want - alder, pecan, whatever you got just not mesquite) ....now, slice up 3 or four lemons. . .lay the lemon slices all over the grid .... take the salmon filets, rub some olive oil all over both side of the filets and dust them with a little dizzy raging river or shaking the tree rub ....lay the salmon right on top of those lemon slices ...close the dome. ...after about 7 or 8 minutes take a lemon half and squirt it all over those filets .. .don't even bother to flip the filets. ..let em keep cooking about 10 more minutes (should take about 18 minutes total if they are pretty thick, test em for 'flaking' i like my salmon a pretty rare in the center you might like yours more done - if so let em go for about 20 - 25 minutes total). . .pull em and eat em. .... i'm just thinking that with no skin that alder plank might be pretty stron on the flavor. ..

this is an old pick of some snapper filets on lemon slices to give you an idea.. .by the way, the lemon slices will be trashed when you are done, but they add some nice moisture/lemon infusion to the fish while they are grilling. ..

DSCN0324.jpg
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    i like to cook the fish @ 400 - 450 F dome with an indirect setup - platesetter in place. when the egg reaches temp, if you have a cedar plank, place the dry plank in the egg. the idea is to get the plank slightly charred where it will begin to smoke. if you don't have a cedar plank, then get one. it will make all of the difference in the world. make sure it is cooking grade. meanwhile prepare the following mixture 6 tbsp butter, 2 cloves garlic chopped finely, 2 tbsp fresh thyme, juice of 1 lemon, 1 tbsp maple syrup (preferably grade B, A is ok but definitely not aunt jemimah). mix together and melt in the microwave on medium. i like to rub the fish with a light coating of john henry's pecan rub. pour half on the butter mixture on the fish. place the fish on the cedar plank. cook until the fish is flaky. don't overcook. don't walk away from the egg. this will only take about 12-15 minutes. when the fish is done, remove the plank and fish from the egg. pour the remainder of the butter mixture on the fish. cover with foil. let it rest for 5 - 10 minutes. now enjoy!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Good advice above mine. I agree with Max to skip the plank on skinless salmon.

I cook it direct raised and pull it at 135 internal. I also finish it the last 2-3 minutes of cooking with a glaze - 1:1:1 mix of maple syrup, honey, and bourbon, and top with a couple lemon slices.

These were on the mini, so not raised, but I used very little lump to get the fish as far from the lump as I could.

Done2.jpg
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    That's a woosday pic if I ever saw one! -RP
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Thanks (I think) - I've recirculated that photo a few times around here.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    the plank itself makes it indirect, and it smokes from the direct heat on the bottom. sitting on the plank doesn't add flavor, it's just the smokew. in reality, if you were to set up indirect and just toss in chips, you'd achieve the exact same thing.

i haven't used alder (can't seem to find it easily), so i can only speak for cedar. the cedar smoke will not be good if the thing smokes heavily the entire time. it's resinous (think pine), and a little is good. a lot is bad. the piney aspect i think actually works well with fatty salmon, but i cannot imagine smoking a butt over cedar....

for cedar, i soak the plank. it is a sacrificial cooking vessel. toward the end of the cook, it will start smoking, and that little amount (maybe ten minutes) is enough for me.

alder may be a sweeter hard wood like hickory. i dunno. if it's a soft wood like pine, i'd personally be leery of smoke for the whole cook, but that's me.

if you have skinless, do you maybe have steaks? they'd be fine too i guess, i just usually use a fillet. skin-on relieves me of any oil, so maybe, yeah, rub some oil on the plank to make it a bit easier to get off.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • vidalia1
    Thanks for all of the great advice & pics...after all this the wife just called and it is skin on salmon and Kroger has it on sale for $3.99 a lb...farm raised of course...I will post pics tonight and let everyone know how it went...
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i liked max's idea i will do that when i get skinless next time but since yours has skin here::

Salmon, Plank, Cedar, or Alder

Salmon roasted in the egg on an alder plank is incredibly delicious and moist. Alder is the preferred wood to smoke salmon in the Pacific Northwest and has been used for centuries by the Pacific NW Indians to smoke and preserve their salmon.

Ingredients:
    1 Salmon filet or steaks
    Ginger Soy Marinade
    Alder plank
    Fresh dill weed fronds, whole

Preparation Directions:
    1 Mix up the Ginger Soy marinade. Marinate fish for about 30-45 minutes (while egg is heating)
    Cooking Directions:
    1 Heat egg to about 400F dome temperature.
    2 Rig the egg with firebricks and/or pizza stone in a configuration to protect the plank from the direct heat of the fire.
    3 Rub olive oil all over the alder plank to season it. Put foil on underside only of the alder plank and place in the egg protected by the bricks. Let plank heat for 20-30 minutes.
    4 Place dill weed fronds on top of the alder plank, then lay the salmon on top of the dill, skin side down, if a fillet.
    5 Brush with additional marinade once or twice while roasting. Roast about 45 minutes until done. Don't over cook.
    6 I also added a few soaked alder wood chips to the fire.
    7 Serve on the plank, and enjoy.
    Special Instructions:
    1 Alder planks can be ordered from www.cooksnook.com for about $31.
    2 The plank is a solid piece of alder wood. The Alder plank is 7" wide, 17" long, 1 ½" thick and just fits the large egg. All edges routed with a round over bit. It has an oval inset 14 ¼" long by 5 ¾" wide, 5/16" deep. It is reinforced with a steel shank on both ends to keep the plank from splitting in the heat. The holes are ¾" across and 5/8 + deep, centered about ¾" + from the ends of the plank. It has a ¼" by 6" long double threaded rod, a washer in the cavity and nuts to hold it together that ned to be tightened before each use. The plank is reputed to last about 4 years, although is says you are not supposed to use it in a grill or over a direct fire.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Author: Mary mbuck@mindspring.com

Source: BGE Forum, Mary Buckingham

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• vidalia1
    Thanks Terry...I will follow those directions....