Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket burnt on bottom solutions please.

Options
not Jo
not Jo Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys how do I avoid the brisket burnt on bottom syndrome? My brisket tastes just wonderful and melts in your mouth once you cut away the bottom. However that bottom is just rock. [p]How do you get around that?
Thanks,
Jo

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    notJo,
    Tell me more, what was your setup???
    Were you using an indirect with drip pan??
    What was your dome temp.???
    I use split fire bricks, drip pan, 230-260 degree dome temp, fat side up, and have'nt had any problems with briskets.[p]GaryJ

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Options
    notJo,[p]Repeating what GaryJ said. What was your setup? If you cooked it direct . . . .

• Unknown
    Options
    notJo,[p]Try cooking fat side down.[p]Lee

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    brisket.JPG
    <p />notJo,
    You could try to go indrect with a drip pan underneath the brisket. That is if you have not tried already, if you have , then maybe you are using to much sugar in your rub.[p]This setup has worked for me on the med Egg, 10lb piece took aprox 18hrs at 250F[p]Earl

• not Jo
    not Jo Posts: 22
    Options
    Guys;
    I was using a drip pan under the brisket but no fire bricks under that. I place my drip pan just over the coals. My temp at the grate runs 220 to 230. I don't remember my dome temp. Since I use my wonderful Maverick remote I don't bother really checking it. (Maverick probes are calibrated and are about 3-5 degrees out!! Wonderfully accurate I'm so lucky cause some aren't).[p]Anyway I'm going to schlep on down to Home Depot and pick up some fire bricks. I wish I had a kiln supply store close I'd pick up a plate setter. Anyway I'll get some fire bricks. I'll let you guys know how the next brisket cook goes with firebricks.
    Thank you so much for your help,
    Jo

• Unknown
    Options
    not Jo,
    If you can, try to find "split fire bricks".
    They call them "split" because they are half the thickness of a regular fire brick. Call some brick dealers and ask for Split Fire Bricks.
    And good luck on that next brisket!![p]GaryJ

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    not Jo,
    I just got the firebricks. Home Depot and all the other similar type stores here in San Diego do not carry them. I located a brick yard through the yellow pages, and called to confirm they had what I want (splits), and got them for $1.20 each. Let your fingers do the walking!

Judy in San Diego