Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mustard

Options
MAC
MAC Posts: 442
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi There. I have always put on a rub to my ribs and then put mustard on them before doing my 3-2-1. Is there any advantage to putting mustard on 3 days before the "Q"? I need an expert opinion. And you ALL are experts. Thanks

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    I would be very leary of marinating anything for three days. You run the risk of either spoiling the meat or the marinade or over tenderizing the meat to the point where it gets mushy when cooked.
    In most cases overnight is all that you need. On a rare occasion, like Jerk Pork will I let it go for two days. I think that two days or longer reprensts more of a meat curing.

Also, fresh meat only has an estimated shelf life of three days so be carefull if you attempt this.

Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    i would not put rub or mustard on 3 days before. At most 12 hours or so. Just one man's opinion.....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    i dont see a need to put a rub on ribs for anymore than 4 hours max, just my opinion and lots will disagree
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MAC
    Options
    Tnank you my friend. You have been around here a long time. J.J. Char-Woody times. I respect your opinion. I will keep with the 24 hour thing that I have done in the past. Although the guy in the golf coast who marinates in butter milk goes a bit longer. But why take a chance. Life is short.
  • wannabebackinTexas
    Options
    I've always thought that mustard on ribs was used just for getting the rub to stick better and help with a 'crust'. Olive oil works just as well, but I seldom use either for more than an hour or two before cooking. Just my two cents.....

Good eggin'
    -Paul
  • MAC
    Options
    GOD bless you son! GO COWBOYS! Ok maybe just the cheerleaders. THEY are the best!
  • Louisiana Redneck
    Options
    I agree, I use mustard to give the rub a base and to help make a crust. 24 hours top is all that is needed.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I recently cooked a few racks of ribs, one with mustard & rub, and the other with just the rub. I really didn't taste any difference between the two.~~~FWIW