Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does size matter

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
:unsure: Ok, I'm ready to purchase the amazing Green Egg, but I'm perplexed. I can't deside between the large or the extra large. Does bigger mean better. I have a family of 5 and really enjoy grilling so I'm leaning twords the extra large. Any sugestions......Thanks

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    A large should be more than adequate for a family of five. I'm doing a BBQ on Sunday for my five children, with their spouses and children, all cooked on a large. -RP
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Fore,

Bigger in egg talk means different. The large is the ultimate machine. I have both and what you can do on a large, you can't neccessarily do on an XL. Large for five people is ample. Down the road you will want to compliment the large with a small or medium or a second large anyway.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    I can't speak on the XL but I do have a Large and it takes care of our family of 4 very well. I have read several posts where there is some concern about having to use too much lump to get the XL up to temp. From what I can figure, the Large is the most versital. I will say this, I wish there was more room for ribs to lay flat, but besides that I love it.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I've got a family of five (six when the daughter is home from college), and I've never needed more cooking space than my LBGE has when it was just for the family. I'd go with the Large, personally.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hi Firetruck,

Thanks, for the response. I never considered the longer process to heat-up the XL vs. L.
    Now that I think about it the only things I cook are burgers, chicken, salmon, and maybe smokoing a turkey or ham. Perhaps the large is more suitable for my needs. Thanks, Cris
  • Unknown
    Options
    I must say I never thought I would be apart of a chat room discussing the purchase of a Green Egg; it's quite cool. Plus, it really has made my descision (?) easier when you converse with other "egg heads" with similiar passions. I think now I'm going with the large after hearing all of your experiences. Thanks guys......Cris
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    That may be all you cook now, but the list will expand. I cook for a family of four + a house guest on my large. Lots more accessories to expand your cooking space available from eggacessories. Good luck and keep us posted. You will end up with another, I have 2 larges.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I read that alot of you (so it seems) have multiple Eggs; I am wondering now if I should go ahead a spring for the XL and save the money. Is this a smart move. I mean there only a couple hundred dollar diffirence between the two.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    The biggest reason for having two is it's really cool. Just kidding, no it's for doing two different cooks at two different temps. such as a side dish or if you wanted to do some pig candy while you are waiting on the butts to finish. Not just because of space.
    It's an obsession.
  • AZRP
    Options
    Multiple Eggs have the advantage of being able to do different cooks at the same time, we have a clean large for baking and pizzas, and a greasy Egg for the meat cooks. The small works great for searing steaks and cooking brats. -RP
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Two? You've only got two?

Heh, it definitely is an obsession, but a good way to spend time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    :cheer: Ahhhh, Ok, so it's for cooking multiple "things" no just for size. I'm getting the large. I can't wait for fathers day
  • Smokin' Jacket
    Options
    SOOOOO......who served you the Kool-Aid?

BEWARE....You are about to become a member of a cult. :laugh:
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hey, Smokin Jacket do you live in Atlanta? If so did you go to Ga Tech. I live in Marietta.
  • AZRP
    Options
    Well congrats and welcome to the club! -RP
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    My Suggestion:
    Is to buy a Large and a Small BGE for about the same price as an XL BGE.

Rationale: YOu can cook at two different temps simultaneously.

For example when I am cooking ribs on my Large BGE at 250 degrees dome temp.... I can and often do cook Burgers, steaks or something else on the small that requires a higher temp say 350+.

The Large is good all by itself... if I could only have one I would pick it.

FYI: I have a Large, Small, & mini.... THe Large is my favorite overall but they each have and do serve a purpose.

~Pharmeggist
    P.S. If my wife would let me I would buy an XL and Medium BGE just for fun :silly: It may take me a year or two to convince her they are a necessity :whistle:
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    LBGE+SBGE if you're going to buy an XL. That will give you some flexibility with different cooking temps/setups and will cost you about the same as the XL.

BTW, I'm saving up some money to add an XL to my other two eggs :)
  • J Mac
    J Mac Posts: 14
    Options
    I put off buying an Egg for about the last 3-4 years because I was concerned about the Lg not being large enough. I looked at the XL when it came out but was convinced by the folks on this forum that the Large would handle most of what I needed. I finally got my Lg BGE about 5- weeks ago and have found that with a little planning and some technique, it works well enough. Can't quite cook a pile of veggies AND the steaks all at once but....
  • Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    Options
    I would offer that the large will met your needs 90% of the time. I have the large and medium combo. This topic comes up often.
  • n0dt
    n0dt Posts: 14
    Options
    I faced this same dilemma. I read the forum for weeks and pondered the age old question. In the end I decided that size does matter. I went for the XL and am glad I did. It heats up fast and I love all that grill space. No need to stack stuff to do a large cook.
    My friend with a LG came over and looked at it and said he wished now he had the XL. To me I didn't want to get one that is just adequate. I wanted "MORE POWER"!! I have done several cooks with it and it is great!!
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Fore,
    I got my Egg for Fathers Day, I hope you enjoy all the cooks that I have in the next year.
    My Best,
    Ross
  • Happy Hog
    Happy Hog Posts: 67
    Options
    I have three Eggs
    1. small
    2. large
    3. XL
    If I could only have one it would be the XL :)
  • HungryNephew
    HungryNephew Posts: 267
    Options
    It seems that you can't go wrong. People with and XL love it, people with a Lg/Sm combo love it. It really comes down to how you will use it. Like others said, if you have only one, you can only cook at one temp. But, you can fit quite a bit more on it.

I have 'only' a Lg. There are times that I would love to have a second one (sm?). This weekend is a great example. I am cooking ribs. I also need to cook burgers for the non-rib eating crowd. Not a bid deal, I'll finish the ribs, crank up the heat and throw the burgers on. But, a small would make it easier. There are also times where I am cooking just 3 burgers or chicken breasts or 2 steaks. Having a small would handle that job just fine with less lump.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Fore, welcome to the fold.
    I live in Woodstock. Shoot me a note at bacchus3266@gmail.com

Ron
  • Louisiana Redneck
    Options
    If you have to ask, it usually does matter. But, in the case of a BGE, the large is the best out there. It will is very versatal. You can add more grid levels for additional cooking space. This is not always needed. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
  • mattk330
    mattk330 Posts: 74
    Options
    I have the XL and love it. My wife is always inviting folks over and "making" me cook for them....and I love leftovers. Last night I did a 18 inch pizza, ate that for dinner and then cooked 12 lbs of chicken breasts and veggies (fajitas) for a party tomorrow night. (yes, I woke up in the middle of the night and realized I should have taken pics for the forum)

We only have one child...and she's only 3, so we do plenty of small cooks. But I do like to fire it up for the neighborhood and cook lots!

However, there have been occasion where it would have been nice to have a couple eggs to do different things. I did ribs and spatchcock chicken the other night. I detailed it in another post but in brief I cooked the ribs indirect first and the put them in a cooler to keep warm, then I direct cooked the chicken and then removed and tented it while I went back and glazed the ribs. It all worked out great!

I was almost ready to buy a pretty big rotisserie ABS smoker when my wife said she wanted something more versitile to replace our gas grill. I think I'll use this XL egg more than I would have used my gas grill and a big rotisserie combined. So far so good!