Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The REAL cost of an egg....

Angie2B
Angie2B Posts: 543
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sometime back in 2001 I stumbled across this site looking for a brickoven for pizzas. Boy did I get fired up....still am....still love my eggs. So I eventually wound up buying 2 eggs and a lot of "eggcessories".

Then I noticed how many people make their own bread and sausage.........so of course I had to get a Kitchenaid.

Then I noticed how you could save your BBQ so much better with one of those vacuum sealer thingys....so the next thing I knew one of those was in my house.

And then comes a digital camera for those times I post something with a pic......

And of course, anytime you work around meat you need really good knifes.....say hello to Ken Onion!

Well then last week someone posted some really cool pictures of "Earthboxes". Dang!! Those looked so cool I ended up buying two off of Craig's list and making 6 homemade versions.

So Newbys beware........of the REAL cost of an egg! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    TDF!!! (tooo dayam funny) :cheer:

ok since you got all the "eggcessories" try this one it is really good:::

Bread, Herb Garlic Baguettes, Bente

Here you go i found it in my mixers instruction booklet.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Pkg Active dry yeast
    1 tsp sugar
    1/4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
    3-1/4-3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 Tbs chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried basil
    2 tsp chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp dried oregano
    2 Tsp Chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dries thyme
    2 cloves of garlic minced
    1 tsp salt
    3/4 cup cold water
    1 egg
    1 Tsp Water

Procedure:
    1 Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water
    2 Place 31/4 cup flour, basil, oregano, thyme, garlic, and salt in bowl. Attach bowl and power knead spiral dough hook to mixer turn speed to 2 and mix 30 seconds stop and scrape bowl
    3 Continuing on speed 2 slowly add yeast mixture and cold water mixing about 30 seconds if dough is sticky add remaining ¼ cup flour. Knead on speed 2 about 3 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic
    4 Place dough in greased bowl turning over to grease top. Cover. Let rise in warm place, free of draft, 11/2 to 2 hours or until doubled in size.
    5 On lightly floured surface. Punch dough down several times to remove all air bubbles. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into 12-inch long loaf. Place each loaf on greased baking sheet or in greased baguette pans. With sharp knife make 3 to 4 shallow diagonal slices in top of dough. Beat egg and 1 tbls of water together with a fork. Brush each baguette with egg mixture cover with greased plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place, free of draft, about 1 to 1 ½ hours or until doubled in bulk.
    6 Brush top of each baguette again with egg mixture. Bake at 450 for 15-18 minuets or until deep golden brown. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
    7 ***Note I baked mine on a large BGE directly on pizza stone on inverted plate setter (legs down) with the big green egg “feet” as a spacer for the pizza stone

Yield: 36 servings (18 slices per loaf)

Recipe Type
    Bread

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Bente, 2008,02/16

Source; Kitchen Aid bowl lift stand mixer instructions and recopies pg 69

Posted to BGE forum 1-27-08 by BENTE

bread003.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Heh...pretty much true. Reminds me of a poster I saw once that was entitled "Why do they call sailboats 'She?'" Number one answer: Because the inital cost is nothing compared to the upkeep.

Still, one can eat really well cooking on the Egg for a whole lot less than eating out or eating highly-processed foods. I know we spend a lot less on groceries when I Egg a lot, and we eat a whole lot better, too.
  • Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    Angie...I have to agree with you. Sorta like buying a horse. Buying him is the cheap end of the deal.....it's all the horse--sessories...that you must HAVE to have. Boy are they fun.

Kim
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    We won the large Egg in Oklahoma this year, since we already had two larges, thought we would give it to our son in law for a graduation present. But knowing what I know, I had to add to the package a plate setter, extended grid, grid lifter, ash tool, Egg mates, a couple wing racks, a MAPP torch, safety glasses, a thermapen, BGE apron, BGE hat, and a couple bags of lump. -RP
  • Devo
    Devo Posts: 51
    Thanks for the warning but it won't work with me, I'm already in for a grand and I know when I've got the bug and I got it. About 10 years ago I got into homebrewing and I'm still hooked on that and I'm into that for about 2 grand, I'm a sucker for hobbies where I get to make stuff. Don't even get me started on woodworking B)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Let's see, homebrewing cornelious kegs, conical fermentors, yeah, every hobby has its toys. -RP
  • Yeah, but think how you are saving not eating out (and boy food around here in restaurants is pretty bad. I mean really bad.) Since we got our Egg, we don't eat out nearly as often. I prefer it.

And you can get one of those kitchenaids now for $169 which is not so bad--that's 10 meals out at $17 per person.

In case you don't know where to get a 5 quart, stronger motor version:

[li]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/B0001ZYYQU/bge-20[/li]

They are much more at Kohls or Macys
  • eafo
    eafo Posts: 96
    when we first discussed replacing our gasser, i told my wife about the egg and how i wanted one. she thought it was a bit too expensive since we had spent a ton of money in the past year (new pool, hardwood floors, furniture, ect) and had made a pact to save. but we went and looked at them anyways, she was interested in seeing it. we bought it that day. i wasnt expecting that.

then 2 weeks later, we went back. bought the plate setter. bought the v rack for ribs. bought the pizza stone. bought some rub. bought some wood for smoking.

2 weeks ago i bought the Maverick thermometer. i'm looking at pizza peels online. and we need a new cutting board. and some cast iron pots and pans. and i want to build a small storage table for all my accessories.

but its actually saving us money. instead of going out and 'doing stuff' on the weekends, we hang out by the pool and cook on the egg.

and the wife already wants to buy a Large to compliment our medium.
  • You got that right! My wife has one horse and for some reason she has to have 14 saddles...